New Fish Tank Water Change.

1. BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

Ok so I set up a new 5 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago for my betta. I started the tank using Tetra Safe Start. I think its time for a water change. I have a gravel vacume and 2 gallons of distilled water. Whats the best way to do a water change? Should i dechlorinate the water first and wait for 2r hours and add more safe start? Can i leave the fish in the tank? Please help me.

I ordered a test kit and it should be here in a few days. Do i need to wait?

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Have you tested your water yet to see if the TSS cycled the tank?

I would recommend against using distilled water, since it doesn't contain the minerals a fish needs. But if you do use distilled water, you have to add those minerals back in. You can buy an additive that will add them back in, but I don't know the product name. Hopefully someone else will and will chime in.

Also, distilled water dose not contain any chlorine, so there is no need to dechlorinate it.

When using TSS, it is supposed to be a one time dose. There is no need to add it again (assuming your tank is cycled).

I always leave my fish in the tank when doing a water change. I believe that removing them just stressed the fish out. And stressed fish become sick fish pretty easily.

3. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

No i havent tested the water yet. My test kit is on its way. I ordered it friday. So should i trade the distilled water for regular water?

4. jdhef

If it were me, I would

5. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

Ok I will. The store is closed now. Ill have to wait until tomorrow. Do you think my fish will be ok until i get this all straightened out?

6. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

You might want to pick up some prime So you can do water changes while waiting for the test kit. :)

7. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

I dont get paid for another 2 weeks. I can see what i can do.

8. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

They may have a cheaper one like API stress coat you could use until you can afford prime. If you ask, they may have a sample pack too.

9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

With a dechlorinator, you can just use tap water to fill your tank(after treating with dechlorinator)

10. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

11. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

That will work.

Get a bucket, fill it with tap water, and add the amount of dechlorinator needed into the tap water.

I would wait a couple of minutes. Then, do the WC

12. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

Ok thank you very much.

13. jdhef

@BenV, just out of curiosity is there a reason you were intending to use distilled water instead of tap water?

14. Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom New Member Member

Did SafeStart cycle your tannin two weeks> was your Betta in there? I am hearing a to about this Tetra SafeStart. I am setting up a brand new 5 gal tank fr my Betta and was told tot go the goldfish cycling route though i hear SafeStart is great. Bow did you do it-- we have similar scenarios. THANKS

15. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

I set up the tank. Added my decorations and put the water in. Then i added a dechlorinator like api stress coat plus. Waited 24 hours then added the safe start plus and put the fish in directly after that. I only feed him every other day. Just ubtil i know the tabk is fully cycled. Just keep an eye on him watch for any signs of stress or wierd behavior. 2 weeks you should be ready for a partial water change. But i would recomend getting a test kit to make sure water is safe.

16. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

I got the distilled water beacause it had no chlorine. I traded it for purifies water added stress coat plus and did a water change.

17. Marlin

Marlin Valued Member Member

TetraSafeStart is alright though I prefer API quickstart. Since you're using distilled water I'd recommend Equillibrium to add the nutrients into the tank plus a biostone my fishes love them. Also, those safestarts and quickstarts say they have bacteria in them but gotta be careful because based on how they are handled during shipping and storage sometimes you'll get a bottle of dead bacteria rather than live ones that you need.

18. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

Any suggestions?

19. Marlin

Marlin Valued Member Member

Since it's distilled water there is no chlorine in it so there really isn't any point in adding a dechlorinator other than to be on the safe side. I would also mix the mineral supplement of your choice into the water and mix it around for a minute before pouring it into the tank as well. With quickstarts and safestart its all really based on the roll of the dice you either get a good one or you get a bad one. I recommend after about 30 minutes to 1 hour to do a water check after adding in the water. From what most people have told me they say tetra safestart is better, but I like API quickstart more as I've gotten better results. Seeing as you won't get paid yet I'd say if you can have the filter run for a bit in the bucket of new water so that it can get to work on it for a bit before pouring it in(as long as theres no chlorine in it I mean...we don't want you to have to start over :) if not than add the dechlorinator and wait 2 hours before adding any quickstart/safestart than let the filter run in the bucket for a bit)

20. OP
    OP
    BenV.

BenV. New Member Member

I traded the distilled water for puritfied water and added a dechlorinator and let it set for bit, then did a water change. Should i add more safe start?