New Fish Tank Fish Combos

Smurf8488

Reaction score
I just set up a new to me tank it is 30 galons wide and heated i want to put tropical fish in it but im still very unsure about safe combinations. Ive been looking at catfish and ghost shrimp for cleaning and mollys, tetras, guppys, danios and platys for fish but i know i cant fit them all and i dont know if they all would get along. What would be recomended for a pretty combination that would eventually and comfortably fill my tank with a healthy community of fish. Oh i also dont want any baby fish born after placed in the tank dont want to over crowd the tank.

fishfisher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The mollies/guppies will breed but they are known to eat their fry. Another option is to just have one sex of mollies and guppies (they can interbreed). idk if ghost shrimp will eat fry or not. Depending on how much hiding spaces you have in your tank for they will most likely be eaten.

I recommend just getting all one sex because male mollies are relentless on mating and won't leave the females alone. ime I just had to re-home a male molly.

Also, if available, go to a lfs. They have so many more options than chains and they are usually MUCH healthier. (just mentioning since all of the above mentioned you can get at chains) It is a night and day difference (usually) between ILS and chains. I have a dg, 2 mollies and Congo tetras in a 29. It's a little snug but I'll be upgrading in a year or two.

You'll will most likely want (if you decide on) tetras as the most dominate in the tank because of their shyness.

These are pretty awesome to watch: Forktail blue-eyed rainbows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLBU89ilqk

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Any of those fish could work in your tank, but we would need to know what combos you are looking at. All of those would get along, but as you said yourself, you can't fit them all. Danios, tetras and catfish need to be in groups of 6 or more, and mollys grow kind of big. Sooo...it just depends on what your highest priorities are in terms of stocking, and we could go from there. If you wanted mollys, for instance, that would reduce the other fish you could have.

If you want pretty, then tetras, danios, guppys, and platys are my personal recs. You could do a one or two schools of a number of different types of tetras or danios, along with some fancy guppies and a bunch of different types of platys...guppies and platys, you can do individuals of, rather than schools, as long as you're careful with the combo of genders.

Also, do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Last edited:

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Read up on the nitrogen cycle if you don't know about it. Then go to your LFS and write down the names of the fish you like and come back and we will be more than happy to help you make a combination that will work for you. You have lots of options so no worries.

Smurf8488

Reaction score
I really havnt thought of combos i liked just individual fish, ive been to a chain store 4 times now and explored there website for different fish (sadly the only pet store now near me is a chain) i love the look of the dalmation molly but i didnt realize they could grow big. Nor did i realize catfish are schooling i was just told they are excelent for helping to clean the tank so i should think about having them or ghost shrimp but then i love the look of ghost shrimp but read they could get agressive as adults. I like the zebra danio, and the red wag platy (saw that in a tank with the dalmation mollys looked pretty) then tetras and guppys ive noticed have alot of different colors that are beautiful i guess it makes it hard to decided and figure out whats best. As for the hydrogen cycle my dad is helping me with that the tank was his before me.

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really havnt thought of combos i liked just individual fish
I was the same way just a few months ago I went to the LFS, and was like, "Oooh, I'm gonna get one of these, one of these, one of these, etc." but then came here and found out many of them were either schooling, too aggressive, or would grow too big for my tank (I only have a 20G). You'll have to make some difficult decisions on which fish you can get, and which you'll give up on...I know I did! But once you get your tank properly stocked, you'll be well rewarded with some happy, healthy fish

Some pet/fish stores (even chains) will have little tags under the fish tanks that will indicate schooling, max size, aggressive/non-aggressive, etc., so look out for that if you can find it. Just be careful about asking actual employees there. They often pretend to know what they're talking about, or are just trying to make a sale, and will tell you anything.

I've got a red wag platy that is beautiful and active. My guppies were colorful when I got them, and just a few months later, they've gotten even more colorful and interesting looking. Feed your fish a varied diet, keep your water parameters up, and your fish will get even prettier than what you see at the store.

fishfisher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with clearEyes and was the same of wanting one of each. But be careful going by the tags. For the most part they are right. But, I brought home some Australian rainbows where the tag said a 29 gal was big enough. .. After a few weeks I had to take them back because of aggression issues. If they school and they get bigger than about 3" then you may want to research them a little more.

McFly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some great recommendations...

In my youth, before there was so much information readily available on the net, I killed a few too many fish in my ignorance. Finally I went to a library and took out some "books" and realized I had lots of learnin' to do... Today's forums are a great resource, but not as good as knowing for yourself.

Browse the online fish stores and other resources. They have lots of good info on the most common fish, and can give you a good idea of what to look for, fish behavior, and ideal water conditions. With this kind of information, you can make an educated choice and have happy healthy fish.

On a final note, try and find a reputable fish store, and make the trek if at all possible.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom