New Fish Tank And First Time Cycling

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So always wanted a Fish tank and this is for Tropical Fresh water fish.
So I've just purchased a 110 Juwel Tank and very happy with it as my first tank. Its 110 litres which is 24 Gallons.

So done everything from setting up the tank, heater on, filter and pump on and light. Got Gravel substrate in and two big rocks (not sure if these are marine rocks?) some big rocks! (hehe).

So I've added all my water into the tank added the correct amount of API Stress coat as directed on the bottle for the water to make it safe and I've also added some API Quick start as directed on the bottle to. As I don't have ammonia I've ended up just using Fish food flakes to cycle my tank.

This is the confusing part.. I got the tank Tuesday 15/05/2018 and its now 17/05/2018 its been three days with this tank. These are my readings:
PH:7.6
Ammonia:0.25ppm
Nitrite:0.50ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

Surely this tank can't of cycled that fast? 3 days??? or am I missing something? I am using the API Freshwater Master test Kit.

Some Advice or Help? Or have I cycled this so fast I don't even realise?
Thanks,
Aph

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Make sure to shake the testing solution vigorously, like "throw it against the wall" vigorously. If the reading your tank still comes back wonky, try testing your tap water. some people have readable levels of nitrites/nitrates in their water.

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I gathered as much that was the case. I used the quickstart once.. so wont be using that again. So I just tested my tap water and very interesting.
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate: Between 10ppm and 20ppm

What do I do now?
Thanks.
Aph

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's where the nitrates came from. So you're not that far into the cycle.

Nothing outside of what you're already doing. Add fish food daily (pure ammonia would be better if you can get it), monitoring parameters every few days. Do a water change if ammonia or nitrites get too high (above 4-5 ppm is too high), and otherwise have patience! Fishless cycling takes a while.

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can get pure ammonia at most hardware stores and some higher end pet shops. Hardware store will prob be more economic since you can get huge bottles (good for cleaning around the house or giving to someone else in the hobby). Just make sure it has no additives, such as fragrances or anything fancy.

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey,
Thanks for the help! I was pretty sure I was doing it right but getting some advice from some people would help. Maybe I should do a small water change just to get nirates down.
I have ordered some pure ammonia of amazon 500ml of kleen off Ammonia as this is all I could find. So hopefully that will help out when it arrives and ill stick to putting fish flakes in and wait a few days for that to decay.
Thanks for the help!
Will post progress.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, your nitrates won't go lower than your tap water, so no use doing a water change. High nitrates won't hurt your cycling either (and your nitrates are not high at all right now).

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok Brilliant! I did enough research before even doing anything! So as long as I'm on the right track that's good news! Hopefully with the ammonia coming it will help a bit.
I really do appreciate the advice!
Thanks,
Aph.

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So been testing my water daily.
I know that I have nitrates in my tap water.
test results:
Ammonia:1ppm
Nitrites:1ppm
Nitrates:10ppm

Am I still good? I'm adding fish food daily just a bit to keep ammonia happy. Am I still doing the right thing?
Thanks,
Aph

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yep, just keep up the ammonia source and wait lol its a tough ride but youll get there in time, just keep dpoing what your doing, as this is a fishless cycle, water changes arent nessisary

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So just done a water test and I've got
0.50ppm ammonia
3ppm nitrite possibly 4 ppm
40ppm nitrate

I have no idea how that's happened though. The only thing I can think of is that I added some decorations in last night and disturbed the substrate which fish food flakes were on. I can only think that's made them go crazy.
Water is a little cloudy to.
What should I do?
Thanks,
Aph

I hope its a good sign and just a nitrite spike and nitrate and it will calm down
:/

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nothing special, just keep dosing ammonia so it doesn't reach 0. If nitrites get much higher, then you can do a water change to reduce them, but for now, I'd wait it out.

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just finished a freshwater fishless cycle that took rather longer than I expected... at one point my nitrItes were off-the-scale high, and my nitrAtes were also very high, but the ammonia was being processed right away. I read that if your nitrites or nitrates get super high it can stall your cycle I did a huge water change (using an undergravel filter, so lots of area for the good bacteria to grow) and ordered some new bacteria just in case (Dr Tim's One and Only). I dosed my tank back to 2ppm ammonia (instead of the 4 I was reading you should do) and the cycle kicked itself into gear properly about 5 days after that. I didn't end up needing the extra bottle of bacteria after all.. I've got it in my fridge for "just in case."

I think what happened is that the ammonia-munching bacteria grew much faster than the nitrite-munching bacteria and they were starting to poison themselves. After the water change I added less ammonia and let the nitrites come down before I added anything more, to let bacteria stage #2 get going better.

The whole shebang really did take 29 days to get going even though I had pure ammonia and beneficial bacteria added. Man, I made little charts and everything and kept all my data in a logbook. It felt like forever, but it worked. Don't give up!

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just tested my water today

I've got a reading:
4ppm Ammonia
4-5ppm Nitrite
10 Nitrate

Should I do a water change?
My water is looking really cloudy, I don't want to add anymore ammonia to the tank. So I'm gonna hold of on that today and see if it goes down.
I feel like it was going so well.. but probably going backwards

Robjoco

Valued Member
Reaction score
You might be having a Bacteria bloom causing cloudiness. It’s my understanding that it’s pretty normal. Good luck!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd hold off on adding more ammonia until it goes back down below 1 ppm. I don't think you need to do a water change unless the nitrites get higher.

Aphishere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve not put anymore in tonight. Will hold off and hope it goes down.
I really do appreciate the advice!!
Will be two weeks Tuesday! Hopefully not to long!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom