New fish suggestions!

Ksuar

Hi everyone! We just determined that our baby platys are 3 female and 2 male now that they’re a little older. That being said, we are definitely looking into adding someone who will help with population control once they start breeding lol.
I have wanted a gourami for a while but wanted to make sure the platys got big enough to avoid getting eaten. I would also need to plant the tank further. Suggestions on gourami that would fit in nicely?

If not gourami, then what other fish do you suggest for our tank?

29 gallon, 79°, pH is 7.2-7.4
8 harlequin rasboras
5 platys
lots of snails

PS. It bothers me to have so many different species of plants lol I feel like it lacks cohesiveness so I’m thinking of adding another plant by the filter intake but will this mess with filtration?

Attachments

• 13A88C1C-E253-40AE-807D-6AD7861C7E52.jpeg
    13A88C1C-E253-40AE-807D-6AD7861C7E52.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 17

Revan

I like danios and tetras, although you could try some endlers or guppies if you choose. You could have a school of rummynose tetras, looking at your tank size it could probably handle a decent amount for a school. Or you could do White Cloud Mountain Minnows if your tank heater is adjustable (the fish prefer lower temps than tropical fish) I think with how much fish you can get in your tank, a school would look great.

MyFishAddiction

Honestly the platys themselves are good population control. The problem with gouramis is the main types of peaceful small-ish ones like to be in groups of 3 or more, and that might not work, IMO.

kansas

3 or 4 honey gourami. The problem is that if you get more than one male, they are apt to fight so you might have to rehome some of them.

Ksuar

Hmmm… I see.
We actually ended up with our platys from a friend who assumed that hers would control the population too… she ended up with literally 100+ baby platys all over the tank and had to remove them all after a month of nobody getting eaten

Bettatakeover

A powder blue dwarf gourami would look nice in there. And would definitely help with population control. Or you could try a betta. My male crowntail loved hunting guppy fry. I would suggest a plakat or a female betta as they have shorter fins and are less likely to get fin nipped by tank mates.
Both bettas and dwarf gourami can be tricky/temperamental though. They don’t always get along with other fish. I personally have never had a problem with my bettas being aggressive in big community tanks but my dwarf gourami was returned pronto.

kansas

Apistos or rams would probly help with the fry,

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BilboSwaggins
Replies
Views
jmaldo
  • Poll
Replies
Views