New Fish Stressed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Otto1, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Otto1

Otto1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Recently, I asked on what to stock my 20 gallon long for algae control in another thread. The results were otocinclus and amano shrimp which I took some time in researching them. Today, I got 3 otocinclus and did a 4 hour drip acclimation. However, my fish are looking stressed but slowly eating diatoms. Two of the otos is breathing hard and one of them is looking like its lost some color. I'm thinking of getting api stress coat and api melafix for them. Will this be a good idea or are there any other better products for their stress? I'm also going to keep the lights out for a few days to reduce stress and parameters are 0,0,10-20

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    I’ve never kept Ottos but have read many a post from new fishkeepers having trouble with them. Personally for diatoms you can’t go wrong with nerite snails; unless you keep puffers or other snail munchers.

3. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've read otos are real sensitive to water parameters and they need super clean water (under 10 ppm nitrates) to thrive. I don't know much else about them though.

4. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +754
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They seem to do better in established well planted tanks that have been going for awhile, could there possibly have been a temperature difference when you acclimated them? They are very sensitive to temperature changes too. For some reason they do better in small schools of 6 minimum, probably makes them feel more secure.
    You might supplement extra food right aways such as a long slice of blanched zucchini or cucumber on a fork tine or slices under elastics in a small dish. If you want to be nice... top with a piece of algae wafer! Leave the veggie in overnight and replace every day so they don't pollute your water. You can peel and freeze slices to have on hand wrapped in saran without blanching. I've had good success with my Oto schools and only lost one due to a toxic resin ornament recently. I've never had to use any treatments on mine and the oldest are almost a year old now. They are the sweetest fish, hope you have good luck with yours! :happy:Oto's 1.

F. lL. 2 Oto's.

Otos Lunch.

5. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +179
    Experience:
    1 year
    I agree. My OTOS when introduced immediately started going to work on my brown algae. I've heard it's initially hit or miss with them. I made sure to get the ones at the store with the plumpest bellies as I read that they are malnourished during transit as they have literally nothing to eat while in a bag.

6. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    Also, Otto's love large groups, and can often be one stressed if they aren't in groups large enough. I have 6 in my algae covered 10 gal. And, like others have mentions they are very sensitive so it is best to put them in a long established tank. Also, don't keep yr tank tooo clean bc they like to eat extra algae.

7. OP
    OP
    Otto1

Otto1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Update, they're doing way better than expected, and I did get stress coat, melafix, and have kept the lights off just in case to reduce stress as much as possible. Sand is covered with oto poop, which is amazing because last oto I had didn't really eat the algae and wasn't pooping. There is still a bunch of algae in the tank, so I dont think I'm going to supplement them for now. Two of them seemed to be breathing normally, and the other one is still stressed but less than yesterday. The stressed one seems to be eating and also fat, which is good im guessing. And thanks everyone for the advice. Btw my corys are trying to copy the otos in trying to get stuck the glass and seen to want to school with them. 13 corys.

8. Galaxsy556

Galaxsy556New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    3 years
    Im glad your ottos are doing much better!

Im not sure if you got your ottos shipped to you or not but in the future do be careful with drip acclimating fish that have been in a bag for over 12 hours. The build up of ammonia in the bag could cause a massive pH swing (depending on the pH of your tank) in the bag when you start to drip acclimate them if the fish have been in it for an extended period of time like this, if it’s a fish you got from a local store and it only takes a couple hours to get to your home then it should be alright to drip acclimate and add a couple drops of prime.

But for fish that are shipped to you it would be best to ask the person/people you are purchasing the fish from what conditions they are kept in and trying to best match those so that you can simply float the bag(s) and introduce the fish quickly to get them out of that nasty bag water.

9. OP
    OP
    Otto1

Otto1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you for the advice. They were from Petco, and they received their fish on Wednesday. I bought the otos on Thursday, and it was a 15 minute drive from the store to my house.

10. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    Awesome! I have had my Otto's in my tank for 2 months and I haven't fed them once yet lol.

11. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +116
    4 hour acclimation... - you're lucky you haven't killed them... not supposed to last longer than 40-45 minutes... also drip acclimation is more for saltwater...

I agree with previous comments on Otocinclus being a sensitive fish and needing very good water conditions, and very well established tank - also, with those saying that nerve snails and amino shrimps would be much better...