New fish strange problem with fins

Justkeepswimming01
I just picked up this cutie at petco and I got him home and noticed he had tiny holes in his fin. He was in a tank with a bunch of various other baby fancies (as petco does) and white long fish I don't know the name of. I don't have a QT tank atm one of my Bettas in in it. Does anyone know what these could be from?

Advertisement
donnam1804
Fin rot. If it's not advanced it should clear up by itself. Failing that I've used medication that worked. But I'd probably take him back
Also I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have a Blackmore in with a betta.. But not an expert in this area I could be wrong.

Advertisement
Justkeepswimming01
Oh he's not in with a betta at all lol the betta is in my only possible QT tank so I can't put the goldfish in there. I think I'm gonna give him a couple days in my tank to see if it clears up lol. I haven't seen fin rot that close to the actual fish before so thanks so much!

fissh
That's an interesting hole, it could have happened when he was shipped, or it could be fin rot. Salt is a good thing for both. I don't know what other fish you have, so I can't recommend a dose. You can send a picture of your other fish, so we could figure out the dose.
Good luck, Harry

Pringlethesnail
Such a cutie!! I would leave it for a few days and make sure water is clean and then after a few days take a new picture and compare! If the hole gets bigger you may need to consider treating for fin rot. Doesn't look like fin rot to me though. I would wait for now though as long as he is active and eating! Name him something clever like spot (;

Justkeepswimming01
I'm not sure what kind of fish was in the tank with them either it could've been something like a dojo loach or even a white algae eater kinda thing, I should've checked lol. I'd prefer not to do salt, I don't have any and I've never tried it before lol.

I'm not sure if he's gonna be alive when I get home from work. He's been hanging out towards the bottom. He was in a tank with no dead fish but I know it's still always a chance. The employee had told me they had just been shipped in on Thursday or Friday is he still stressed? I was hoping to give a pea and do a WC when I get home.

Advertisement
TexasDomer
I wouldn't bother with Melafix or Pimafix. If it can be healed with those, it can also be healed with clean water (i.e. frequent water changes).

Justkeepswimming01
Yeah I just got home and he's still alive. I put him in a breeder box while I was gone so my mom could give me updates lol. I'm going to do a water change in a few minutes and see if that perks him up

Would the fun for be making him lethargic at all? I'm also think he might be really stressed.

I just did the water change probably about 40% to be safe, I put a des helped pea in with him and turned all lights off in the room I'll leave them alone for a little while now

Justkeepswimming01
So I did the WC but he's still breathing heavy now. It came to 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and probably 30 nitrates which I know is super high I can't get it down. I'm not sure what else I can do for the little guy.

fissh
If you don't have live plants, put in salt. Salt is a goldfish's best friend. If you have a water softener use that salt. If not go buy some rock salt or canning salt. Do NOT use iodized salt, Put in 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. If the other fish in the tank were not picking on him take him out of the breeder box, keep the lights off and cross your fingers. I used to get in 3000 to 4000 small fancy goldfish at a time, and this really helped. Pre dissolve the salt in a glass of water before you put it in the tank. Good luck, Harry

Advertisement
Justkeepswimming01
Good morning everyone he's still kicking today. I'm stopping by the pet store to get a new air pump so I can put him in the 10G. (I moved my other fish out lol). I'll try and pick up some salt then too and keep you updated.

I still haven't seen him eat.

Justkeepswimming01
I just got home and he was floating . Poor guy

fissh
Poor guy, maybe next time buy it from the LFS and quarantine it if you can. It's very common for freshly shipped goldfish not to make it. I don't think it's anything you did, or a problem with your tank. Again sorry to hear about your loss. Harry

Megg01
I just got home and he was floating . Poor guy
So sorry for your loss. I agree with the above poster- I don't think it's anything you did.

Advertisement

Justkeepswimming01
Thanks guys I wish I could've done something to save him. My mom just brought home a bigger one from a different pet store and he's looking SO MUCH better than no name did. He's already eating and swimming around.

fissh
What a good mom!!!

Justkeepswimming01
I know! The black moors are my favorite I had one when I was a little girl (he was Thomas Jefferson). She heard me talking about the baby fish all night I think she knew I was overly attached lol.

fissh
I know! The black moors are my favorite I had one when I was a little girl (he was Thomas Jefferson). She heard me talking about the baby fish all night I think she knew I was overly attached lol.
My wife likes to name her favorite fish too. We have Mr. Shrimp (a 7 whisker green shrimp) and Sammy (a 5 inch feather fin catfish) and Lucifer ( a 12 inch Hypostomus) And many others that have real good names. I think we're all are a bit crazy!!

Advertisement

Justkeepswimming01
Lol all of my fish have names. The goldfish have been named after presidents (or VP or First Ladies etc) since I was little and was just learning the presidents names.

girllovesfish
sorry for your loss seriously I would take his body back to the pet store and get your money back. It is their fault, not yours!

Justkeepswimming01
I didn't think about that until I had already disposed of him. I'm happy in the knowledge that I at least tried to save him but I think he was DOA from that pet store

girllovesfish
re naming fish, my two marble angels are Stevie and Nicks, my rainbow shark is Bruce. my Orange Koi Angel is Terp (because my son says he is the colors of the maryland flag lol.

Justkeepswimming01
How cute!
I have a group of Cory cats and I can only
Tell a couple of them apart so they just have a collective name. They're called the squad lol. Same with my danios I can't tell them apart but I haven't figured out a name for them yet

pinkiepole
I LOVE Black Moors <3 I'm sorry that happened to you, you tried your best!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
oOBlueOo
Replies
Views
FwompFwish
Replies
Views