New Fish Preemptive Dosing

KarpKarp
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it was typical to medicate newly purchased fish - with like a broad spectrum antI biotic or something? Or would this be too stressful for a still acclimating fish?

I purchased one of those cup bettas from petland yesterday. He did at least have an air bubbler in his little cup but I'm thinking it's possible he may be a tad bit sickly, though not showing hard signs yet.

He's fairly new and it was pretty dark when I purchased him so he may be a little pale - I'm not truly sure. He's breathing fairly heavily but the tank temperature rose fairly high today, currently sitting at 82 degrees, because we had an unseasonally sunny day and the windows in my apartment make a greenhouse - so maybe there was less air in the water than usual? He's still quite active and I've successfully fed him a few pellets.

He's currently exploring his lightly planted 10 gallon tank. I had turned off the air pump for the first day, hoping to let him rest before he'd have to contend with current from multiple sides of the tank, but it has since been turned back on.

Do you think this heavy breathing is grounds for medication? The tank water does have a small dosage of aquarium salt in it to prevent fungus but I don't even own anything antibacterial or antiparasitic and am wondering if I should potentially stock up in case.

Advertisement
david1978
Personally I have never premeditated any fish not even with salt.

Advertisement
TexasDomer
Preventative meds can do more harm than good - they can encourage disease resistance or stress the fish out through unnecessary treatment. I also wouldn't add salt to a tank.

NavigatorBlack
You are much better off observing the fish between turning the pages on a good fish disease handbook. Chances are, he is perfectly healthy, but if you get a book and study up on diseases, you will know what to use if a problem develops. Shotgunning unneeded meds is a killer.

junebug
I wouldn't keep an airstone going in a betta tank. That plus the filter is almost always too much for their big, lumbering fins.

Just keep an eye on him and let him settle in. Give him a week or so

david1978
Mine seem to enjoy playing in the bubbles.

KarpKarp
Thanks for all the input - I'll keep an eye on mr Fish and hopefully he stays active and the heavy breathing lightens up a bit

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yeti79
Replies
Views
fjh
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies
Views