New Fish Owner/ College student addition Important 

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
Hey y’all, so I just got a small little tank for my room to have a little company well studying! I grew up with a huge tank and tons of fish (mom loves animals) so I thought u knew a lot about fish.... but I guess I don’t. I have had my goldfish for 2 days. and one already died... (rip dusk) I feel like a bad parent. I have one fishy left and she seems to be doing well... (her name is dawn) but now i’m just so scared i’m doing something wrong. I have a filter that came with the tank, I am using the water that is already pre conditioned cause I don’t trust tap water at college haha. I make sure I wait 10-15 minutes before I put the fish from the pet store bag to the tank after I let it adjust to the temperature! I have good normal flake food for my fish. one thing, after doing some research, dusk (the dead one) did go up for air a lot which could be a pet store disease. I don’t know. I might just be coming up with that in my mind cause I don’t wanna seem like a bad fish owner:(. if u can... pls help in some way

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tank size?
Temp?
Parameters?

These will help us figure uot what the problem is

Edit: I see that you don't know about the nirtogen cycle. Please learn about it.

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
Oh god:( I guess I know nothing of taking care of fish :(
1 gallon I think!! really small
temp.. that’s the only thing I don’t have yet is a thermometer. it does feel a little cold to me so probably 60 ish
I was gonna get a home water test tomorrow. I assumed that the pre conditioned water would be good for a day or two... I guess not. i’m sorry I mean well!!

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I'm going to be honest here.

The minimun tank size for a goldie is a 29 or 30 gal. Your temp is perfect!! They are cold water species. Can I get a pic of the fish? If it is a comet goldfish it will need to be rehomed as I'm assuming that you don't have the space for a 100gal aquarium. How often do you do water changes? How much do you change. There is an aquarium calculator on here that you can use to figure out how big your tank is.

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
073263AF-3B01-42E8-84EF-CF3F15210C15.jpeg

also. idk if she’s dead or sleeping honestly. :( poor fish I feel so bad. horrible fish parent award goes to me

Attachments

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
second photo shows how small the tank is.
and i’ve had the tank for 2 days... i’m assuming from what I read that I clean the water often, but never take out all the water at once and keep the fish in the tank???

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Here's a page about the nitrogen cycle: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

As for the goldfish, the tank is extremely small (you probably realized that by now). Unfortunately, you're going to have to re-home the fish as it can grow to a 1' long.

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
what type of fish would be able to survive in this tank... if any?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
delaneylynnl said:
what type of fish would be able to survive in this tank... if any?
All fish can survive in a 1 gallon, but they probably won't thrive in it.

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
WHY DO THEY SELL THESE!!! :( so sad

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Rev

Well Known Member
Reaction score
delaneylynnl said:
Oh god:( I guess I know nothing of taking care of fish :(
1 gallon I think!! really small
temp.. that’s the only thing I don’t have yet is a thermometer. it does feel a little cold to me so probably 60 ish
I was gonna get a home water test tomorrow. I assumed that the pre conditioned water would be good for a day or two... I guess not. i’m sorry I mean well!!
That is totally fine man this is a learning curve. Once you get the basics down you'll be fine. First things first is read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. It should be hyperlinked over those words. Next up I would return the fish and probably the tank. As stated earlier goldfish need big tanks, they can get pretty big, so rehome if you can. I'd also return the tank if you can. 1 gallon is incredibly small and there's not a lot you can keep in that. I hate that they even make and sell those things it's not good for the fish and can turn a lot of new fishkeepers away from the hobby because their fish die. I believe most dorms allow up to 10 gallons but check on that. My first tank was a 5 gallon kit I have a betta in. Looks nice fairly cheap and easy to take care of. Bought it because I can keep it in a dorm.

And hey don't worry about making mistakes. We all make them. Ask anybody on here we've all screwed up. Just the other week I made a thread about how I woke up, moved a wire mesh in my tank and crushed 2 fish and shrimp just like that. It happens we learn and are better for tI going forwards.

delaneylynnl

Reaction score
thank you so much for this. made me feel much better. I will probably get a 5 gallon tank but idm what i’m gonna do with this tank. sell it on e bay as a toy fish tank? *great for stuff animal fish... if they can fit*

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
delaneylynnl said:
thank you so much for this. made me feel much better. I will probably get a 5 gallon tank but idm what i’m gonna do with this tank. sell it on e bay as a toy fish tank? *great for stuff animal fish... if they can fit*
You can do a planted tank and stock it with some shrimps. That's what I'm doing for my 1.5 gallon tank. :)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads