NEW FISH ^O^

VidW

Reaction score
Today when I was looking at my tank,
I found 5 fries at the bottom of my tank!
I have moved them into the breeding box =) so others won't eat them!
they are white .. but I dun know whose their parents... since my platy, swordtail, tetra, black molly and white molly are all pregent...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Check all thru your tank, like under plants & decor, maybe even gently move the gravel around a little and you might find more fry since they hide so good.. you'll probably get more in the next few days even if you got all of them today since a lot of livebearers drop fry over a few days so check each day for new ones.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could be the white molly's because of the color but maybe if you can look at them now with a good magnifying glass their fin arrangement will tell you more?

Have you found any more fry since?

OP
V

VidW

Reaction score
HI all! Good Morning!
A good news and a bad news!
Good news is: I have total found 9fry
Bad news: 3 of them died =(

I think there are more fry in the tank. However I haven't found them yet

For the ones I get...I still can't think what are they! (I have 2 female sliver molly but I bought them just the day before I found the fry. So I don't think they are their babie... since the molly's belly is not large)

Another question I heard from my friend that swordtail, molly, and platy will breed faster in salt water.
However I don't know if my other fish ( tetras, gold glomurs. guppy) can live in salt water.

(Pregent Status For 55 gallon tank: 2 swordtails, 3 platys, 2 black mollys)
(for 10 gallon tank, my cichlid ate the eggs again-_______- I don't know why...sad=( )

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is tricky to find all the fry. We have to take the fish out, all the plants & decorations, then I carefully go thru all the gravel from one side to the other a few times while my wife & I both watch for any movement.. lots of work for a 55 gallon for sure.

OP
V

VidW

Reaction score
how long would that take for me to identify what my frys are???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
VidW said:
how long would that take for me to identify what my frys are???
It shouldn't take too long to tell, especially if you have a magnifying glass to look at them with.. within a week or 2 our gold twinbars even had the markings.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
It is tricky to find all the fry.  We have to take the fish out, all the plants & decorations, then I carefully go thru all the gravel from one side to the other a few times while my wife & I both watch for any movement.. lots of work for a 55 gallon for sure.
Wow! That's a lot of effort. Call me cruel, but with my overstocked tank, I do look, but I won't disturb the other fish looking. So if I don't find them in the obvious hiding places, then I just let nature take its course. I just really wouldn't know what to do if they all survived, as I do not trust the pet store to make sure they get good new owners. They have a business to run I guess...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Part of it is for the fry, to get all we can out but we also didn't want the platys overeating. they'd eat until they exploded.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom