new fish no where to put it -.- Question

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I asked my father to buy me a minnow because I didnt want to kill the kids catfish and guppies if the legos I was going to put in the tank were toxic. Yes I realize some of you will frown on this but killing 1 fish is better then 4. I was going to just put it in a gallon bowl till I got the legos and then add the legos after cleaning them. Well he bought me 2 minnows and 2 gold fish. The only tank besides the gallon bowls I have is the 10 I just upgraded from that I was going to use to upgrade my 5g can i put the gold fish in the gallons for tonight switch the 5 for the 10 and put the fish in the 5 which was supposed to be my QT ? or are they to big for a 5 they are about 3 or 4 " each dad wants to take the orange and white 1 to work I don't have the money for another 10 I don't have the money for anything else really and when they are quarantined can I put them at least 1 of them in the 29 with 6 guppies and 6 corys?

there are only 2 guppies 1 cory and 1 snail in there right now but im going to build those up to 6 each

how big of a tank does 1 goldfish need if he takes it to work it should at least be in an appropriate tank I can also just put them int he trash can i use for WC for the night its a kitchen trash can about 10-15 g
    sorry for the mess im a bit flustered trying to figure out what to do with these 2 extra fish that arent exactly small

2. eds48 Member Member

I dont know about goldfish much but from what I heard 1 goldfish needs 29 gallons and then 10 for each goldfish added hopefully someone else can help! :) and if its not too late give them back to the fish store

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

well he just bought them but i think petsmart closes at 8 or 9 and its already 8 and its almost not worth the gas to return the $1 worth of fish they are in a gallon right now with the 2 minnows because theres just no where else for them to go ill put them in the 5 tomorrow heck they keep them in a 5 in the store

2014-07-04 19.54.31.jpg 2014-07-04 19.54.16.jpg

4. eds48 Member Member

Those are comet goldfish or common goldfish i believe, they get up to 1 ft in length and they would need a 75 gallon tank with heavy filtration since their bioloads are big, along with that, they like well oxygenated water plus even though they are in a 5 (gallon?) at the store, they sell quick because people use them as feeder fish when they are small but they arnt meant to be in a 5 gallon. This can stunt their growth and since their is no benificial bacteria nor is the tank/ bowl even cycled , they may suffer from ammonia poisoning. If you have a petco near you they will take them off your hands with the fish adoption program they have. I highly recommend doing this if you dont have the proper tank size for them or give them to a family member or friend

5. FiscCyning Member Member

If petsmart is already closed tonight then you should bring the goldfish back in the morning. As eds48 said, they need a very large tank. Even your 29 gallon will be too small for them, let alone a 5 gallon, plus they have different temperature needs from your other fish so they won't do well together. Their size also means they wouldn't be appropriate for your dad to take to work unless he has or wants to invest in a very large tank setup. I'm sorry you ended up with fish you weren't expecting, but the best thing to do now is return them rather than subject them to a tiny tank and ammonia poisoning.

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I agree, you should return the fish back to the LFS or rehome them. I've moved your thread to the aquarium stocking questions section. Thanks.

7. frogfan Well Known Member Member

If there still alive when i get to my parents today im going to return them and pick up a couple corys and 3 new guppies since i killed my females by accident

Got new guppies petco disnt have any peppered cory only emrald and albino

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app