New fish mommy who's in way over her head!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Verainne, Jul 20, 2015.

1. V

Verainne New Member Member

Okay, new fish mommy isn't quite true. I have three wonderful thriving bettas in 5 gallons that are doing wonderfully!

But I just got a 50 gal from a friend who was otherwise going to sell it on craigslist, and, well, I was concerned that they would die in the care of a stranger! It has tetras, danios, plecos, clown loaches, and HAD a betta who died shortly after arriving, I assume from the stress of the trip?? It was a rocky ride. :C

She gave me ALL the stuff-- a gravel vac, filter, heater, water conditioner, salt, etc etc, even frozen food.

Now, the tank was in poor-ish condition when I got it. Algae everywhere, cloudy water... I've cleaned it up pretty nice, for the most part (no cleaning chemicals, of course, good ol' fashion tank scrubber and gravel vac)

I conditioned the tap water and slowly added it back to the tank a gallon at a time, and the surviving fish that didn't belly-up from the stress of the trip seem to be doing great.

I went to test the water-- then realized, I have NO IDEA what the ideal parameters are! I have an API test kit, I just want to know what the ideal Nitrates, Nitrites, PH, KH, and GH levels are for these fish. I want them to have the best care possible!

And, is there anything else I should know? I want to be the best fish mommy ever.

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Ammonia, nitrites you want 0,0, nitrates below 40, preferably below 20. I'm not sure there is an ideal ph, the fish you currently have should adjust to your ph. You just want it above 6 or it will mess with your cycle. I honestly have no idea on kh/gh but someone will come along who does. You shouldn't need to use the salt either fwiw, i wouldn't use it personally.

Welcome to fishlore! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Testing: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 5 and 20
    pH - any is fine really fish are quite adaptable
    GH + KH - again most is fine unless you have less than 3 degrees or more than 20 degrees

a few other things you should know. Clown loaches need huge aquariums and need to be in groups of 6, it's best if you re-home them. What kind of pleco do you have in that tank? Common pleco will get too large. Tetra and danio's need to be in schools of 6 as well incase they aren't already.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The ideal KH should be at bare minium 4 or 5, or your pH will not hold steady. My KH is about 10, i have very hard water. :)

5. OP
    OP
    V

Alright, and if my nitrates and nitrites are too high, how do I most efficiently reduce them?

Yeah, my KH is pretty high, same with my GH. The tetras and danios are all in schools. I don't know the kind of pleco but she's had the tank for a while and he's only about... 3 inches?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Reduce them by doing water changes. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Nympxzie

That gets fixed with a water change! if nitrite is above 0 change your water 50% every day or every few days until your test reads 0!

8. OP
    OP
    V

Alright~ Thank you so much for the help <3 Yeah, the condition of the tank was pretty poor. But like I said, I want to be best fish mommy!

9. Nympxzie

It just needs a little love that's all!!!

10. sparkles22

sparkles22 Valued Member Member

I also recommend a good water conditioner with your water changes...... seachem prime has been my go too

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

You have already gotten some good advice, so I just wanted to add a couple things.

First, if you are not familiar with the nitrogen cycle (words will be link to an article) I highly recommend you read up on it.

Second, Scaleless fish will not tolerate salt in the water. Your Clown Loaches and Pleco are both scaleless fish, so I would highly recommend not using salt in the tank.

Best of luck!

12. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new tank and new fishies. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice