40 Gallon Tank New Fish Mom

fishmom12

Hey guys, new fish mom here. I am hoping for a lil help with my sick Black Ballon Belly Mollys.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 37 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 23 days
Does it have a filter? Yes, a 50fluval aquaclear. I also have an air stone running.
Does it have a heater? Yes, a 200 watt topfin
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.
1 Betta- Mr. Snow
2 Golden Mystery Snails
3 Kuhli Loaches
4 Red Minor Tetra
1 Nerite Snail
3 Black Balloon Belly Molly
7 Neon Tetras
3 Albino Corydoras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? At least twice a day, the times of needed.
How much of the water do you change? 10 gallons
What do you use to treat your water? Topfin water conditioner or API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water at this point because I'm still getting my cycle going. Ugh

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
That would have been too easy. Honestly, I learned about the importance cycling fishless after I had my fish family.

What do you use to test the water? API FRESH WATER MASTER TEST KIT

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Honestly it's extremely difficult to get an exact reading from the color codes. Its extremely frustrating. And the API test stripes are even more so when measuring nitrites, ammoniaand nitrates. But, I can tell when the colors change enough to know when to do water changes.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice daily: Morning I feed a lil of everyone's favorites and a smaller nightly feeding.

How much do you feed your fish? All they can eat in 2 minutes. Plus, I drop 2 algea thins for my Snails, which everyone else also loves, go figure.

What brand of food do you feed your fish? I have Omega One betta flakes, Topfin betta crumbles, Topfin algea thins, Omega One Catfish pellets, Hikari micro pellets, Topfin freeze-dried blood worms, Frozen Hikari bio-pure blood worms, and Repashy.

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes, both. I've been giving them half a cube of frozen blood worms after other foods in the morning

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 15 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2nd day
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
White spots looks like Ick but all three Mollys have yucky white lips or white cloudy eyes. One of my Mollys has an eye completely covered in film.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? This morning I got Tetra Ick Guard and did a whole tank treatment. But now I'm worried it's a mouth fungus or something else.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I noticed. They have been happily eating and swimming about.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? None, They are happily swimming and snacking as per usual.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I just noticed yesterday that one of my Mollys had puffy white lips, then this morning it's right eye was covered in a white cloud like film, it also has white spots. The other Mollys also have white spots on their bodies and white lips. Two neon tetras have a few white spots, otherwise everyone looks okay. Any help appreciated. I just don't want to do only Ick Guard if I need something else.
Thank you, Fishmom

Attachments

• 16218302308669173740968319834448.jpg
    16218302308669173740968319834448.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 17

ProudPapa

I'm afraid I can't help, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum (and this will get your post bumped up to the top, so hopefully someone else can help).

jtjgg

instead of doing a couple 10g water changes each day, just do a single larger 20-25g change. this provides for a good visual on dilution.

try to get a large bottle or gallon jug of Prime. it'll help with ammonia and nitrite poisoning during the cycle.

hard to tell from the picture, do the white dots look like grains of salt?

they white cloudy film on the fish could be excess slimecoat. could be caused by parasites like ich. look into paraguard or prazipro. i use a two week qt treatment with prazipro on any new fish.

fishmom12

I'm afraid I can't help, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum (and this will get your post bumped up to the top, so hopefully someone else can help).
Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kiliki
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies