New fish-mom!

Sedna

Hello, I am quite new to this hobby, and find it very fascinating thus far. I started (Jan. 8th, 2021) with a 55gal freshwater tank.

The tank was purchased from a previous owner, who already had it stocked with a few fish. I'm not sure if it's common to name your fish but we've named ours, and like to believe they all have their own personalities!

betta06

welcome to fishlore!!
I name my fish (I even tried naming my neon tetras but it got a bit to confusing) what kinds of fish do you have?

Sedna

Thank you!
Do you mind my asking what their names are?

Hugooo

Welcome to Fishlore, fish-mom Sedna! You will love it here; there is close to zero negativity on here, so most of the threads you read will be fun and inspire you to learn more!

Can we have some pictures of your tank? We love pictures here

MelanieIh71

Hello, I am quite new to this hobby, and find it very fascinating thus far. I started (Jan. 8th, 2021) with a 55gal freshwater tank.

The tank was purchased from a previous owner, who already had it stocked with a few fish. I'm not sure if it's common to name your fish but we've named ours, and like to believe they all have their own personalities!
Oh my gosh a 55 gallon!! I am so jealous Welcome to this great bunch. I am a new fish Mom too but I started with a tiny .666 gallon tank and a Betta named Zazzy and with the help of all her have moved him to a 10 gallon with live plants and soon some others to ignore You have joined a great group!

Sedna

Welcome to Fishlore, fish-mom Sedna! You will love it here; there is close to zero negativity on here, so most of the threads you read will be fun and inspire you to learn more!

Can we have some pictures of your tank? We love pictures here
Thank you!
Just realized I had a 'reply' button lol.
I wasn't sure if I should attach any photos, I'm quite shy. I'm thankful to know I didn't do this wrong! I'll have to snap a few here soon to share! I'm happy to talk about my fishies to anybody willing to listen.

AggressiveAquatics

Thank you!
Just realized I had a 'reply' button lol.
I wasn't sure if I should attach any photos, I'm quite shy. I'm thankful to know I didn't do this wrong! I'll have to snap a few here soon to share! I'm happy to talk about my fishies to anybody willing to listen.
Welcome! Do you know what fish you have? If not we are more than happy to help you Identify them

betta06

Thank you!
Do you mind my asking what their names are?
I have quite a lot of fish but..
betta male aqua (blue veil tail)
betta male eclipse (black orchid crown tail)
betta male poisidon (purple/white veil tail)
betta male flame (red double tail)
betta male colonial mustard (he is a mustard gas betta)
betta female mystery (she is my own bred)
betta female Aries (she is my own bred)
betta female Athena (wild type plakat)
betta female star (white/red half-moon?)

here are the neon tetras names (there are only 3 right now the rest died of ntd and I haven't restocked yet)
mike
eleven
dusten
my nerate snails are isadora Esme Jim hopper and Nancy wheeler

Sedna

Oh my gosh a 55 gallon!! I am so jealous Welcome to this great bunch. I am a new fish Mom too but I started with a tiny .666 gallon tank and a Betta named Zazzy and with the help of all her have moved him to a 10 gallon with live plants and soon some others to ignore You have joined a great group!
Thank you!
A few years ago I had one of those very tiny tanks for neon tetras, I had picked a few out and named them all after Jurassic Park/World dinosaurs haha. My niece and nephew took a great liking to them and I let them take them home. I didn't really feel like that tank belonged to me, as much as it did them. With this 55gal though, it for sure feels like my first step into the hobby. I'm so very excited, and Zazzy looks gorgeous!!

We had originally wanted to get a 55gal to get a young Bichir, that was what got me interested in the hobby. We found this tank and found the current inhabitants to be fine tank mates for a young Bichir, but after getting the tank and much thought into it I decided I would wait on getting my Bichir, as I learned more about it. I wanted to be able to have it with other fish such as Oscars, and they wouldn't be compatible with what came with the tank. I love every little fishie in my tank though so much.
Welcome! Do you know what fish you have? If not we are more than happy to help you Identify them
I know a few, and am not entirely 100% on exact type for a few. It took awhile to really identify them and a lot of google searches and "I think I know now!" haha. I'll list them and their names below. I don't know exact ages, I wish I did though it would make things feel a little easier.

We have:
Bubble Fett (Common Pleco)
Pearl (3-spot Gourami)
Rooster (Goldfish)
Stripey (Black Veil Tetra)
Pinky Pie (Tetra, assuming glow-fish)
Larry (Not 100% of her specifics, Angelfish)
Curly (Koi Veil, Angelfish)
Moe (Not sure, Angelfish)
Ruby (Pearl Gourami)
Oogie (Striped Raphael Catfish, Juvi.)
Boogie (Striped Raphael Catfish, Juvi.)

We plan to move Rooster (Goldfish) to our outdoor pond where our other golds are when the weather has levelled out and is warmer. We were told the two tetras are around 2 in age, and more than likely will be passing soon, currently Bubble Fett is still on the smaller side I know Common Plecos get pretty big, so I plan to stick him in another tank when I am able to get one big enough again for him to be in without issue.

Ruby, Oogie & Boogie didn't come with our tank, they were brought in after we had everything set up and functioning. Everyone looks to be friendly together.
I have quite a lot of fish but..
betta male aqua (blue veil tail)
betta male eclipse (black orchid crown tail)
betta male poisidon (purple/white veil tail)
betta male flame (red double tail)
betta male colonial mustard (he is a mustard gas betta)
betta female mystery (she is my own bred)
betta female Aries (she is my own bred)
betta female Athena (wild type plakat)
betta female star (white/red half-moon?)

here are the neon tetras names (there are only 3 right now the rest died of ntd and I haven't restocked yet)
mike
eleven
dusten
my nerate snails are isadora Esme Jim hopper and Nancy wheeler
I love those names! They all sound so beautiful, Betta's always look so gorgeous in the stores to me.

Sedna

Sorry for the long wait. Here are the photos!
I don't have any yet of Bubble Fett not on the wall, he tends to blend into the substrate, I have black sand. I also do not have Boogie pictured because the raph cats like to hide, and really only come out at meal times. I do know that Larry (Black/Silver/Brown striped Angel) is female because of how thick she is, and the differences between Curly/Moe compared. So I've gotten used to calling her Lady Larry lol.

MelanieIh71

Sorry for the long wait. Here are the photos!
I don't have any yet of Bubble Fett not on the wall, he tends to blend into the substrate, I have black sand. I also do not have Boogie pictured because the raph cats like to hide, and really only come out at meal times. I do know that Larry (Black/Silver/Brown striped Angel) is female because of how thick she is, and the differences between Curly/Moe compared. So I've gotten used to calling her Lady Larry lol.
BEAUTIFUL!!

Willow84

What is that plant floating on top? I love the look of it and am just starting up a tank.

MelanieIh71

What is that plant floating on top? I love the look of it and am just starting up a tank.
Amazon Frogbit. I love it but it grows like a weed

Leeman75

Love it! Your naming skills are fantastic!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yunyt131
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views