New fish mom here :)

Katieeeelyn

Hi everyone! My name is Katie I have a semi-planted 10g with a platinum male betta (Oliver), a juli cory cat (Penelope), a black mystery snail (Leonard), 2 otto's (Dharma & Greg), an ivory mystery snail (Tiffany), and a few ghost shrimp. I'm still very new to this, I've only had my tank for about 5-ish months. I currently have some nasty algae in my tank, and my black mystery snail (Leonard) is not doing so well. He hasn't really moved in a little over a week. And I've found there's these clumps of like white fuzzy stuff that is stuck inside his shell. He sits partially open and when I touch him he closes. But I have to physically remove the white fuz every other day. Idk what it is. I took a video of me removing it. If anyone has any tips or can give me any advice, I would really appreciate it thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20210302_073340.jpg
    20210302_073340.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210302_073734.gif
    20210302_073734.gif
    19.9 MB · Views: 29

JLAquatics

Hello, Katie. Welcome to Fishlore! Excess Algae growth is usually attributed to an imbalence of some kind in the water. You could have too much nutrients but not enough light (or vise versa) for plants to utilize those nutrients. I know that sunlight causes tremendous algae growth, so depending on what typr of plant you have, they might not be fast growing to compete with the algae in question. I know that an Anubias plant is not going to absorb as much nutrients as a Water Wisteria or Val. As for your snail, I have no idea what could be happening, especially if it is only effecting one of them and not the other. Hopefully someone else may be able to help out.

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! Is this tank cycled? Do you know what your water parameters are? And Cory cats are social fish and need to be in groups no less than 4.

fallfever

First, welcome. And second, a ditto to AggressiveAquatics. I once had a snail with a similar issue and it turned out to be due to an ammonia spike. Test your water today and let's rule that out first. Once you know your water parameters, I promise you'll find someone here who has dealt with it.

Bettamay

This looks like an ammonia spike. Test your water and see how it goes. Not a stocking expert but the tank might be getting a bit small. Cory’s like to be kept in schools and ottos I thought needed 20 gallons+ and prefer to be in schools. How long have you had this tank.

Katieeeelyn

Hi everyone! I'm still like 100% new to this lol. I originally had a 5gallon with just the plants and Betta for a few months before I added everyone else. Then I felt it was too small so I upgraded to a 10. I attempted to add 3 cory cats but 1 died and the other 2 avoided each other at all costs. She's doing great on her own though. She plays with Oliver my betta. As for the Otto's, their minimum is 10gallon and I probably should have 3 but the 2 are doing just fine. In total I have 4 fish and 2 snails.

As for an update on my paramiters, I tested my water and they said everything was fine. The ammonia and Nitrites were a SMIDGE high, so I got the Fluval Nitrite and Ammonia filter pads. I put the ammonia one in the other day.

Leonard the snail is still not moving around, but he's coming out of his shell a bit more.

Attachments

• 16148477590946304418040009127995.jpg
    16148477590946304418040009127995.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 9

Similar Aquarium Threads

40 Gallon Tank New Fish Mom
Replies
Views
fishmom12
Replies
Views
Kribensis27