New Fish Missing Piece Of Tail

ivyninja

Reaction score
I got 7 Harlequin Rasbora from my LFS yesterday, and when I got them into the tank, I realised the smallest one is missing a piece of it’s tail. It looked otherwise ok so I wasn’t too worried, but now that they have all settled in a bit more today, I can see it is not schooling with the others, and just hanging out in one small area of the tank. It looks alright, has eaten and is still kind of active, but just sticking to the same spot and not really covering much ground.

It’s quite a bit smaller than the others and I’m wondering if it’s just hanging out where it is because it’s well out of the way of the filter flow which it might struggle with due to its size and damaged tail. The other option is that it’s unwell - is it possible to tell from the photo if it’s injured or diseased?

I can’t get back to the LFS for a couple of days. Not overly worried about the $4 I spent on it, but don’t want my other fish getting sick.

6297B97B-9E2F-4A81-9A77-FFFEDC37591F.jpeg

Initiate

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI there,
Make sure the fish is eating, try feeding fatty protein foods like frozen blood worms to fatten him up. Keep an eye on his tail and make sure that it doesn't get infected with something like fin rot. I'd probably do 25% water changes daily to heal the tail faster.

Thanks

New Threads