New fish lost his orange color already!

MomokoCove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, I got a new oranda baby who was orange and black but I'm saddened because his orange coloring became white.I will update with pictures later since the other fish got moved to the 10gallon along with the baby.I'm a proud mom right now but I hope he doesn't die.I heard some fish change their coloring after moving to new environment.But why is this?Are they stressed or less stressed?You can read more about my new baby and how I got him to new home after along wait in the Goldfish section but if anyone can give my any help it'd be great.I'm planning to get another oranda in hopes of a breeding pair.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish will pale when stressed or sick, just like people. Your profile says you have three goldfish in a 2 gallon tank. Are all of the goldfish in the 10 gallon now? How big are they? Have you checked your water parameters recently? Do you have a plan to upgrade them to a larger tank? The common recommendation around here is 20 gallon for the first fancy then 10 gallon for each additional fancy, so you'll need a 40 gallon tank for the three of them and no one else. Comets need even more space. Your little guy could be suffering from stress due to overcrowding and/or ammonia poisoning.

-Lisa

MomokoCove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the info but actually I just now found out that the lighting quality made him look white and when I took photo's with my camera on flash he still is orange after all.I will take your advice and upgrade to a bigger tank as soon as I can.I have enough room for three more tanks anyways so my room will be very full of life soon enough.As for the older goldfish not including their tails they are about 2 inches long.The 2 comet babies about one inch and the newest baby oranda is about 1 inch as well.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I have moved your thread to the Cyprinids/GoldFish section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!

Ken

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Check the ammonia in the tank. Ammonia will cause goldfish to pale as will any other water quality issues. The tank size requirements for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first with an additional 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. 6 goldfish should be in at least a 75 gallon tank. Comet goldfish are such strong swimmers that they really do best in a pond. Your fancy goldfish cannot swim as fast as the comets and may get bullied a bit, especially at mealtime. You will need to watch to make sure that all the goldies have a chance at the food during mealtime.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads