New Fish - Input Welcome

Beeboy
I have a 29 gallon tall tank. I had a bunch of fish but they have all died. Now I plan to get:

1 Siamese Algea Eater
3 Pearl Gourami
1 Cuckoo Catfish
3 Clown Loaches
6 Guppies
3 Swordtails
5 Rosy Barbs

The tank chemistry is:

pH - 7.0
Temperature - 76
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - .5
Nitrate - 30

Will these fish be compatable? Any input would be helpfull.
Thanks,

Beeboy

Butterfly
Everything sound good except for the Clown Loaches.
Clown loaches get to be 12 inches or more. The 29 gallon isn't big enough sorry.
are you going to fishless cycle?
Carol

Chief_waterchanger
I agree with mom, it would be a terrible disservice to have clown loaches in a tank that small.

COBettaCouple
I'd recommend cycling the tank before adding the fish, it will extend their potential lifespan and on the livebearers, i'd think about going with all males.

Beeboy
I am going through a fishless cycle now. What would be a good large prominant fish for my tank? I thought first that I could get a glass Headstander but our local fish store has a very small selection. Then I thought clown loaches but my book said I need at least three. I would really like a peacefull fish that is like the main attraction. Any ideas? Thanks for heads up with the loaches.
Beeboy

Allie
What about a red-tailed shark?

Beeboy
They are very aggressive. So I don't think I'd put one in a 29g. I had one with my african cichlids in an 80g...he chased the smaller ones around relentlessly.

Kevin
I have 2 pearls and one paradise that are my showcase fish...when full grown they might get a little teritorial, but should be fine
o, I would stay awya from the barbs, they won't do well with pearls

Butterfly
A couple of angelfish would look stunning in a tank that size but they don't usually do well with gourami.
Carol

Neville
What about a red-tailed shark?

Beeboy

red tails will fight swordtails, I would recommend angels, they r very pretty. dwarf gouramis and platies r good tankmate for angels.

Beeboy
I would stay awya from the barbs, they won't do well with pearls.

I thought that if barbs are in a group of five or more they form there own hierarchy and don't bother the other fish?

My tank is a 29 gallon. Anglefish can get to a size of 6 inches and there needs to be at least 4. That would leave me with 5 inch of space. Which would be filled by an algae eater. I once took care of a friends tank which was full of anglefish. It was a 20 gallon tank with 15 angelfish full grown. I much prefer a tank with wider variety. Are there dwarf anglefish? If there were then I would definitely consider them. Thanks for all the input.

Beeboy

Kevin
barbs are very aggressive towards big fish b/c they feel threatened...I def. wouldnt keep any with my pearls
well, angels don't need at least 4...they are fine with just two

Beeboy
So two angelfish would work but not with barbs.

I'm just thinking out loud. 74 cm. total space.

2 angelfish 30 cm.
1 cuckoo catfish 15 cm.
1 siamese algae eater 15 cm.
1 pearl gouramis 12.5 cm.

Some of my books say angelfish only work in a community tank when they are young? I like them but I would like to have more than just that. Could I have a second Gouramis too? Will the Angelfish limit their size due to the size of the tank? If I could find dwarf angelfish online they would be perfect but I can only find marine dwarfs.

Beeboy

Kevin
most people say not to mixangels and gouramis...ive heard some people have had success...but only in large tanks
i'm pretty sure there aren't any fw dwarf angels...there are dwarf gouramis

Beeboy
Is it possible that I can get young Anglefish and then when they get big give them back to the pet shop?

Beeboy

susitna-flower
Beeboy, First let me welcome you to Fishlore, I haven't seen your posts before today, and you sound like someone who really wants to have a great tank, and is searching for ways to do it right. SUPER. Now, if you haven't decided yet on your fish let me interject a couple of suggestions that I can recommend from personal experience.

IF you want color, flowing fins, and super nice compatable fish, try CONGO TETRAS. Google these, you won't be sorry! They get to 4", have lovely coloring, I have had as many as 4, but currently only one who seems quite content (the males get the longer fins). These fish are mid tank, and get along really well with my gouramis and rainbow fish. Actually they are in a tank with everything from cardinal tetras to a big sailfin pleco. They also don't seem to have health problems.

For striking color, I love Rainbow fish. Currently I have 5 different varieties in 3 different tanks, they are also healthy fish that get along well with their tank mates, they do exhibit more color as they mature, and the sexual dancing they do with a mate creates interest as their colors change. Usually this does not disturb the tank, and it is not in the form of aggression toward other fish, which is to say they don't "chase or nip". Once again I have them in tanks with mates from platties to bala sharks and cardinal tetras, everyone gets along.

Hope this gives you something to look at a little "out of the box", as you look on aquabid, and around. I am hoping there is a LFS near you that you just don't know about yet that would carry some of the fish you want. Do you talk fish with many folks in your area? Maybe they know of the good places to go.

Fish in the Frozen North

Beeboy
I really like the look of the Congo Tetras and the Rainbowfish. I have decided on...

1 cuckoo catfish
4 congo tetras
2 Lake Kutubu Rainbows
2 Banded Rainbows

That all of you for your help.

Beeboy

susitna-flower
Three of the rainbows I can highly recommend, and that are usually available at one of the LFS's around here are BoswanI rainbows, ParkinsonI rainbows, and Dwarf Neon Rainbows. I have all of those, the first two are very colorful, the dwarf neons are beautiful, but are more white with a blue tent and red fins, lovely in a small school, and very active in a tank with smaller fish.....
Glad you like them.

Fish in the Frozen North

Beeboy
Finally the last draft. I had to change several fish due to availability and cost.

1 Ancistrus sp. (Bristlenose Catfish)
4 Phenacogrammus interruptus (Congo Tetras)
2 Melanotaenia Lacustris (Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish)
2 Melanotaenia ParkinsonI (Parkinson's Rainbowfish)

In all it should cost me about $84.55.
I called both pet shops and neither had any of the fish. They are very bad shops.

Thanks a lot! ;D

Beeboy

COBettaCouple
sounds like a great list.. for future reference, I think 1 angelfish can be ok by itself.

Butterfly
Sounds like a good stocking list. I love bristlenose Remember to feed it algae/veggie wafers until you have some algae in the tank.
Carol

Beeboy
I have TetraMin Tropical Tablets for the bushynose. Each one is about half the size of a penny. How often should I feed?

Beeboy

Butterfly
I have TetraMin Tropical Tablets for the bushynose. Each one is about half the size of a penny. How often should I feed?

Beeboy
About one in the evening after lights should be enough. It may take him a bit to figure out it's food but he won't starve himself if food is there. They also like fresh veggies, zuchinni, cucumber etc. Their diets should be 90%vegetable matter/10% protein
Ccarol

Beeboy
Cool thanks!!!

Beeboy

Beeboy
The original online shop couldn't ship to me so I had to once again change my fish list.

1 Bristlenose Catfish
4 Congo Tetras
2 BoesemanI Rainbowfish
2 Red Salmon Rainbowfish

It costs a little bit more but at least it is available.

Beeboy

Beeboy
My fish are supposed to arrive today but it is unclear if I am getting
4 congo tetras

or

4 blue spotted platies and
3 gold wag tail platies

lol supposedly they are out of congo tetras but the bill charges me for them.

COBettaCouple
those are 2 of my favorite types of platys.. especially the blue - that's #1 for me in the platy world. I look forward to finding out what you get.

Beeboy
They sellers messed up and my fish arrived today. Now I have:

2 New Guinea Rainbowfish
2 Boeseman's Rainbowfish
1 Congo Tetra
1 Bristlenose Catfish
3 Gold Wag Tail Platies
4 Blue Spotted Platies

Old Fish:

2 Serpae Tetras
9 Black Neon Tetras

Here are some pics: