Help New fish in tank chasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hiya ive put 2 new albino rainbow sharks in with, 1 red tailed shark, 5 neon tetras and 5 mollies, the red tail shark is constantly chasing the new rainbow sharks around the tank is is goin to be a problem or is it his way of letting them know who's boss??

the tank is 4ft by 2ft 165liter
ph 7.5
ammonia is 0
nitrite is 0
and the temp is at 27C
the tank has live plants and plenty of hiding places as well.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
According to their profile, rainbows aren't compatable with Red Tails.
They're very territorial and should be in a larger tank.
Here's their profiles:
Rainbow Shark
Red Tail Shark

Can you take them back?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually misread it to believe all the sharks were rainbows. ops:

In any event, the unfortunate truth remains that the species are too alike in their requirements that you cannot have more than one in your tank. Sorry.....

Edited to add: I see from your profile that you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. Please click on the link.

Last edited:
OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys thanks for the info, well ill have to keep them over night but will be taking them back in the morning its a shame when there not being chased they pretty happy :-(
Anymore tips on what i can put in? Im looking for only a few more for the tank and would like something rather active??

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!
Great advice from others....mean kids dont get along
if the tank is cycled, (saw its so new im wondering how you cycled it so fast? ) otherwise, with the shark you are going to keep, I wouldnt get anything else that lives on the bottom..maybe a nice school of some guppies?

OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aye i was thinking that as well, the tanks been going a few weeks now been keeping on top of the tests every other day and all seems great even took water to the pet shop to double check and did that a few times now there happy to sell me fish as they think its ready, how many guppies could go with what i have already in the tank? minus the rainbow fish :-( unless you think there maybe a slight chance they'll mix lol
its a big pet shop (petsathome) a got the sharks from i think there advice has been awfull i'm going to stick the smaller fish shops they seem to know alot more and actually care about where there fish go and what they go into lol like im new so if they say they'll mix ill buy lol

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fish Lore! Yes, smaller fish stores usually know what they're talking about a bit more than the big chain ones. I wouldn't rely totally on even the smaller ones though. ( I like to double check here on FL before buying any fish to go in my community tank) What kind of water test are you using? Liquid ones are better than the strips. I've heard the strips can be pretty inaccurate. Good luck with your tank! (and I'm sorry you have to take your sharks back I really would like to get one, but they are too small for a 29 gallon :'()

OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Charlemagne, im going to keep the red tail shark but take the others back and the smaller privately owned shops do seem to care so much more, the advice they give is good it was my wrong going to the bigger shop because it was closer! Im using the water test tubes its called Waterlife and the ph test is by API ive not got a nitrate test kit but have been taking the water in as well to the smaller fish shop.
Also im feeding my fish aquarian tropical flake food and every 2 or 3 days will put King British Bloodworm in for them im happy enough to give them something else or change the food for the better but whats best to give them? Ive heard they like cucumber etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom