New fish in QT tank..Paraguard?

1. m

muelleh Valued Member Member

10 gal QT tank 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. Aquatech 5-15 HOB filter and a sponge filter, bubble bar. Sand substrate with an anubis and java fern and a couple of clay pots. Has been up and running for several months, fed with ammonia, weekly water changes, stirring the substrate etc. I added 5 small serpae tetras and 3 small peppered cories yesterday and all seems to be going well. All ate this morning and I tested the ammonia and it is still 0. A few questions:

I have Paraguard and have read that it is a good idea to treat new fish for parasites JIC. If this is a good idea, when should I start treating and for how long?

I assume I should test the water daily to make sure that the parameters remain good while the tank adjusts to the new bio-load. About how long do I need to do that? I intend to keep them in the QT tank for a month.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I treat all new fish for parasites. They get a 2 week heat treatment (starting 2 days after I get them) and then a prazipro treatment, so they spend at least a month in quarantine. I don't have any experience using paraguard.

It doesn't hurt to test, but it's not something that I ever do. I do not feed the fish for a couple of days, and I dose with prime for a couple of days. Then it's business as usual. The first few days are the most critical IMO, as far as testing.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks so much! When you dose with Prime (which I did the day I added them to the tank) do you do a water change as well or just dose the tank?

Today is day 3 and all seem to be doing well. I have Prazipro too..what do you mean by "2 week heat treatment"??

4. Jaysee

I just dose the tank. I do not do a water change until after the 2 week heat treatment is done. The natural cure for ich is to raise the temp to about 86 degrees, and leave it there for 2 weeks. Whether or not the fish are showing spots, they get a treatment because they can be carrying the parasite. Fish can carry a parasite for a while without becoming infested, which is when we see spots. It's usually due to stress that the parasite gets the upper hand and starts spreading on the fish.

5. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I do almost exactly the same treatment. 2 weeks @90F and then a 3 week parasite treatment. The only difference is i give them a bacterial bath in one of tetratechs products designed for the purpose. All of this is for a precautionary measure, but one i believe important because rather deal with the problem before you see it right? In almost 3 years i have never had any issues with parasites or bacterial issues in my display tanks as a result.

Im glad to see you are doing this :)

As for any treatment you wish, use it simply as the bottle tells you to. As for prime. i dose when they go into the tank, and then use prime as i would usually - after WC's. I also dont test because i use ammonia to cycle the filters before the fish arrive and then do a 100% WC on that tank before they go in. You can test just to give yourself a bit of peace of mind, but if you did something similar to what i do, then the likelihood of the tank struggling to adjust to the new bioload is highly unlikely.

Good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    m

Jaysee, it kind of scares me not to do a WC for two weeks...how often do you dose with Prime during that period? And how quickly do you raise the temp and then how quickly do you lower it?

And iZaO Jnr, what product do you use for the bacterial bath?

7. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Your fish should be ok for that period. Just watch the parameters.

8. Jaysee

In all honesty, I've gone a couple months between water changes. 2 weeks is not that long. I don't dose with prime more than the first couple days. My heaters are calibrated to 86, so when I plug them in, I know the tanks will be 86. The quarantine tanks are the only ones with heaters. So, the water goes from the mid 70's to 86 in however long it takes the heater to do the job. I checked one time and the temp increased at 2 degrees an hour. When the treatment is up, I unplug the heater and the tank gradually falls back to it's normal temp.

9. OP
    OP
    m

That makes sense - thanks!!

10. i

I agree that WC's can be extended sometimes if need be, but obviously it is recommended that you do it more often than not.

As for what i use, its called Tetra Medica GeneralTonic, which can be used as a bacterial bath. This is completely optional though. :)

11. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you! Although - knock on wood - I have never had any problems with Ick, I have had problems with internal parasites and bacterial infections. The tanks that these fish are going in have been stable for awhile and I want to make sure, as best I can, that they remain that way!

12. i

Good to hear. I would agree to keep it that way.

Let us know if you have any other concerns and how it goes.

13. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks!