555Danielle666

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
in my 75 gallon I have
3 Cory catfish
2 Gold gouramis 2.5 inch
1 Red tail shark 1.5inch
Ik that a rts and Cory shouldn’t be kept together there is no aggression and I can take care of that later. The 2 gold gouramis have ice. None of the other fish seem to have it. I want to do the heat treatment since this is a new setup tank. The tank is a bit cloudy for a few days and the temp now is 82* F and I could rise it to 86* F. I have api salt but wouldn’t like to add that If not necessary. The ice is on the fins/ tail and I think a few on their body (they move really fast) I could separate them but they were already in the tank with the other fish so separating them I don’t think will do much now. I have the Walmart brand ick treatment again I wouldn’t like chemicals. I do have amazon swords and anubias. Thanks.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Red tails are perfectly fine with cory's so don't worry about that
Is it kordon rapid cure or ich guard+? That stuff works really well, and it didn't hurt my amazon swords

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you decide to do the heat treatment, i suggest taking your plants out. They may not do good in water that hot.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My amazon swords have made it up to 88 with no problems, so I can say they will be fine for sure. Not sure about the anubias though

stil

Valued Member
Reaction score
I did the heat treatment recently. Seemed to work ok. I raised from 76-77 to around 85 over a few days. Also used ich attack.

Was successful I think.

555Danielle666

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks. It’s only affecting the two gorumies so Far. My heater can go to 86F how long should I keep it at that temperature? The fish will be fine and not die from the temp right. Their normal temp at most is 79/82 for all the fish.

I also got the runt red tail shark, he was grey with no red. The tail was see through and he was picked on by three other red tail sharks with vibrant colors. Now he is much darker and has a strong orange color in his tail. I liked his personality in the store and I seen him a week ago in the store with grey and no color so I figured it was his turn to leave. He’s great.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No more than a few days, especially if you don't have any extra aeration from an air pump. Warmer water has less oxygen in it so an air pump to put it back in will go a long way, and in my book is a must for high heat treatment

stil

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had 12 silver tips, 3 green Cory cats and 1 common gold fish...plus a few mystery snails.

I left the temp up for about a week then moved it back to 78 over the course of 36 hours.

I cranked up the bubbler to cause as much surface agitation as I could.

555Danielle666

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No more than a few days, especially if you don't have any extra aeration from an air pump. Warmer water has less oxygen in it so an air pump to put it back in will go a long way, and in my book is a must for high heat treatment
That’s good since I have a 36” air bar that’s going. My filter is the Maryland and it’s kinda poop. Might get something else or try something to help w filtration. How about 3 days then do a wc at the end to get spores and clean the gravel. This tank is just setup and already dirty.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes high heat an air pump and daily water changes while gravel vacuuming. High heat to kill the swimming ick. Air pump to get more air in water and vacuuming to pick up all the eggs. The eggs are the white dots they fall off the fish lay in the gravel and hatch hundreds of the swimming ick which land on the fish become white dots and start all over.
Yes do the whole tank because they are in the tank. Also a uv steralizer will kill ick too.

555Danielle666

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes high heat an air pump and daily water changes while gravel vacuuming. High heat to kill the swimming ick. Air pump to get more air in water and vacuuming to pick up all the eggs. The eggs are the white dots they fall off the fish lay in the gravel and hatch hundreds of the swimming ick which land on the fish become white dots and start all over.
Yes do the whole tank because they are in the tank. Also a uv steralizer will kill ick too.
i don’t have a up steralizer. I will look at the gravel I could do a water change today or noon tomorrow.

stil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ick has a cycle. You need to keep the heat up long enough to outlast the cycle and prevent a new one from occurring...if I remember correctly.

Just leave the temp up for as long as you think the fish will tolerate. Others can comment on the shark and Gouramis. My cory cats were just fine with mid 80s for a week.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That’s good since I have a 36” air bar that’s going. My filter is the Maryland and it’s kinda poop. Might get something else or try something to help w filtration. How about 3 days then do a wc at the end to get spores and clean the gravel. This tank is just setup and already dirty.
Good to hear, go for it

555Danielle666

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay I’ll turn up the heat. Don’t know if I’ll do a wc today

So for the heater there is 82F and 86F there is no in between right?

Last edited by a moderator:

stil

Valued Member
Reaction score
What heater do you have? Mine are all adjustable to specific temps...only you have to make slow changes to make sure you get it to the temp you want.

Start slow if you can. 2-3 degrees per 24 hours is what I did. 1 in the morning, 1-2 in the evening, etc.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If there's no in between go for 86. That'll speed up the life cycle of ich even more

555Danielle666

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I checked on the fish this morning and the Cory’s look fine my rts is sleeping but the gouramis look worse.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom