New fish guy HELLO

1. mitchgmace Member Member

Hello,
    Just got a new tank (90 gal). So I will be posting on here and asking tons of questions.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! We'll all be happy to help answer your questions if we can.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome. I see you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. That is a great place to start learning about caring for fish, so you may want to read the link.

Here it is in a nutshell: Basically, your tank has ammonia from the waste that your fish produce and leftover food, etc. The ammonia is harmful. There is beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. The nitrite is also harmful. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

Understanding the cycle is crucial to keeping a tank with thriving fish. I know many people get frustrated and give up when things go wrong, but I think knowing how to make the water safe will keep things from going wrong.

anyway, I know you didn't ask for information, so I hope you don't mind me nosing in. Enjoy the website!

5. mitchgmace Member Member

Any info is good. I'm picking up all test kits this weekend. I love tinkering and making things work. It will be a great life long hobby.

Got a 90 gallon tank and going to put mostly cichlids in it.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore :)

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Mitch,
    When you are out looking for a test kit, something I didn't know until this forum taught me is that the strips are not really accurate. Almost every forum member here uses the API master test kit. It has liquids contained in bottles along with tubes and instructions. It is costly up front, but is more accurate and also will do hundreds of tests, coming out cheaper in the end. I bought mine off Amazon, and I saved 10 bucks off the fish store price even after shipping.