New Fish For Stocking Aquarium

AshlynJaymes

I have a new 55 Gallon I just started, I upgraded from a 40 G Hexagon Tank. I currently have a BGK,3 Platy, a Gourami, a Bristle Nose Pleco, 4 ( 2 of each) random smaller fish, 2 loaches, and a 1 1/2 inch-ish Gar Characin. My gar and BGK have eaten all my small fish as I thought they would and I was wondering what types of fish would work in my tank as I would like to add some more fish that would get eaten and that would get along with my more aggressive fish. ( yes I know I need to have a larger tank, I am upgrading as the fish get bigger). I have 2 bubblers and 2 filters, anything would be of help! Thank you!
upload_2018-7-19_19-15-42.png

Demeter

The only suitable tank mates for large predatory fish are other large fish. I see no point in adding more large fish until you've got them set up in a permanent system for when they are adults. Any fish that can be recommended for a 55gal will likely end up as food when the ghost knife and gar get bigger.

AshlynJaymes

The only suitable tank mates for large predatory fish are other large fish. I see no point in adding more large fish until you've got them set up in a permanent system for when they are adults. Any fish that can be recommended for a 55gal will likely end up as food when the ghost knife and gar get bigger.
Would an 80 or 100 G work for the permanent tank? or is that too small? I was thinking like 2 more large Gourami and some large angels or is that too aggressive?

Demeter

Nope, the ghost knife alone will get a good 20+ inches so go big or go home. Get at least a 200gal tank if you wish to keep it with other fish. As for what tank mates I can't say for sure but I'd go with large American cichlids. Maybe some acara, jack dempsy, parrot cichlids and the like. There's plenty of large cichlids but you'd want some of the more peaceful species so they don't beat up on the knife.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zieslar
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Community_ricky
Replies
Views