new fish for newbie

1. burntolive87 Initiate Member

so i just bought a 10 gallon tank complete with a decent filter (or so I'm told by a few people) and a heater and all that good stuff for tropical fish. now I'm just looking at fish to raise but there are a few things to consider: 1) as i am attending college id have to bring them with me and then bring them back so they need to be hardy fish i guess 2) I'm new at the complete control aspect of raising fish so i need fish that are good for people with some experience but not enough to b considered knowledgeable and 3) how many of these fish would you recommend

keep in mind i am a responsible person so even though ill b at school they will be taken care of.

2. EmptyH Initiate Member

I am also very new to raising fish and one thing that I have found very helpful is this article on the nitrogen cycle https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/TheNitrogenCycle.htm it should help answer some of your questions and keep your fish safe in your new tank. As to your other questions that is best left to others more knowledgeble than me to answer.

Good luck :)

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore. It's great to have you with us! Here's a like with some great articles to get you started:

http://fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0

It's really important especially with a 10 gallon tank that it's cycled before you add a full bio load of fish. You could start with a betta and slowly cycle that way if you can't stand the idea of fishless cycling. It would take months this way, but at least there would be a fish in the tank. When you get ready to take the fish home, would you be travelling by auto or plane? Transporting them in the car is not that hard.

While your tank is cycling, you will have plenty of time to pick out what you want in your tank. You won't be able to have that many in a 10 gallon tank, but there are a lot of choices out there. ;)

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Before loading your tank you need to cycle it.  I highly advise you to not cycle with fish, as it is, in my opinion and many others', a cruel practice.
    Here are some tips on fish for once your tank is cycled. (you might want to write these down, as old posts tend to get buried--that way you'll have them handy for when you get fish)

do TONS of research on fish, fish, fish!  read anything on them you can get your hands on!
    do NOT listen to pet store workers, as they don't know anything about fish.  ask questions here where we have some experience with fish.
    add your fish slowly!
    test your tank a lot at first.
    a 10-gal can hold 16.6 inches of fish (convert everything to cm if that's what you go by) (i'm assuming it's a standard, rectangular one)  so, you need to find out how many inches (or cm) the fish are that you want to get, and how many you are getting.
    know a lot about the fish you are getting.  for example, if you are getting a fish that shoals, or swims in groups, you need to buy at least six.
    here are some common, small, peaceful, and fairly hardy fish:  (* means most hardy/tolerant)
    Cherry Barbs*
    Zebra Danios*
    Guppies
    Platys*
    Corydoras Catfish (many species)
    female Bettas
    Harlequin Rasboras*
    Neon Tetras
    Dwarf Gourami
    these are just a few options to start you off.  as you learn more about fish, you will discover more and more options.  there is a lot you need to know to keep fish successfully.  don't get discouraged, but try not to make any mistakes by rushing to get fish before you know everything (not that you will or anything!).  read all of the articles for beginners on this site.  most of all, have fun! :D

by the way, how often do you plan to move your fish?  moving can be very stressful, and in fish stress can be a killer.

5. burntolive87 Initiate Member

maybe one time a year

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thats not too bad then. I'd suggest having a few corys for the bottom, neons for the schooling in the centre and a few platies.