New fish for 12 gallon Eclipse tank

PawsnPaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 12 gallon fresh water Eclipse tank (with a "bio wheel") that has been up and running for 15+ years. During that time, it's usually had some variation of three platies, three neons, and three of some other small fish (currently glo-fish danios). The last few years it's also had a bristle nose pleco to keep the algae under control. I know most fish folks would consider me "overstocked" but even with only once a month water changes, my fish have been long lived and disease free. That said, about half my current fish have recently "aged out" (died of old age, so far as I know). Right now the tank has two glofish danios, one neon, my pleco (now full sized at about 3 inches), and one Platy who seems to be in hospice (again, she's an older fish and, although she shows no evidence of disease, and still eats and swims around a bit, she's getting thin and spends most of her time in one upper corner of the tank near the heater). All the other current fish are "mature" but not elderly.

So, here's the question... I want to replace the fish I've lost, but I know this is a good time to reassess both numbers and species. My pleco seems healthy and happy, but I'm willing to rehome him to a friend's larger tank if he's going to significantly restrict the number of other fish I can have (although he does such a good job I might replace him with a youngster -unless someone can recommend an alternative who will do an equally good job with the algae.).

So... My debate is... Do I buy my current fish new friends and bring my numbers back up to my standard three of each of three species? Do I let my last platy go and maybe try some Mollies instead? I really like bright colors, and have always wanted a male guppy, but have found conflicting advice about how many males I could have and if they'd be happy with the other residents in my tank. I'm willing to down size a bit, but if I'm going to have fewer fish I'd really like them to be flashy.

Thoughts / recommendations?? What might be a good combination of fish that will give me a healthy tank with maximum "flash"?

Jaxsco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is the pleco you currently have the BN? Neons and Tetras need larger schools (6+). Mollies can get up to 5+ inches. Once we know what kind of pleco you currently have we can try to help you out.

OP
P

PawsnPaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, the Pleco is an albino bristle nosed pleco.

OP
P

PawsnPaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't mentioned the pleco... . I know he's too big now and I'm looking to rehome him. So let's take him out of the equation and get back to the core of my question... Does anyone have other thoughts on a good mix of "flashy" fish for a well-established 12 gallon tank?

OP
P

PawsnPaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
See my original post for details on what I usually have and what I have left. I've never seen celestial pearl danios in any of my local stores. They're beautiful, but I'm not sure I want a tankful of only one kind of fish, and rehoming anyone will be a challenge, much less everyone...

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would keep the BN pleco. My favorite fish by the way. The neons should be in a school of at least 6 so I would just let the last one age out. Mollies get way to big for that size tank. Male guppies will do fine together and are not schooling fish. Getting all males means no fry to worry about so you could get a few of different colored and tail types giving you a colorful variety that would be fine. The glofish danios are a genetically altered Zebra danio and should be in a school of at least 6 in a 20 gal tank, so I would also just let them live out their life. You could also keep 3 male platy fish of what ever color variety you like so that again no baby fish. Just my opinion. Alison

OP
P

PawsnPaca

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Alison - very helpful reply! I'll keep looking to rehome the BN, just cuz I know he'll be happier in a larger tank. I'm glad you think getting several guppies is an option. I love the glofish but hope to set up a larger tank in a year or two. The tank currently only has four (soon to be three) fish plus the BN, so I may get just three platies or guppies now so the tank doesn't look so empty, and then revisit getting a few more when the BN is rehomed and the remaining fish pass on.

Thanks again for the help!

New Threads