New Fish Care

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello! i'm new to keeping fish (i got my tank a week ago and am currently cycling it), and i am getting a betta soon for my 10g! i want to know how i can care for my fish while it's getting settled in, like is there any way to make it feel safer?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Number one: Make sure you know how to recognise that your tank is cycled. A cycled tank would generally show 0-0.25 Ammonia, 0-0.25 Nitrite and 10-40 Nitrate.

Number two: Look for a healthy betta. Choose one that has good fins, is relatively active and doesn't have any tumours. Fin rot is so common in new bettas. Don't buy bettas with frayed or black-lined fins.

You can make it feel safer by adding some plants and some tannin-releasing things like indian almond leaves and alder cones. Also make sure it is acclimated well and not stressed in the process.

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Discus-Tang said:
Number one: Make sure you know how to recognise that your tank is cycled. A cycled tank would generally show 0-0.25 Ammonia, 0-0.25 Nitrite and 10-40 Nitrate.

Number two: Look for a healthy betta. Choose one that has good fins, is relatively active and doesn't have any tumours. Fin rot is so common in new bettas. Don't buy bettas with frayed or black-lined fins.
thank you !! there's a really reputable pet store in my city that treats their bettas really well so i'm definitely getting one from there

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Any plants and decor will help, some Indian Almond leaves could help them feel more at home as well. If you get plants I would advise either live or silk, plastic ones can tear up fins. Decor is the same way, make sure it won't tear his fins by using a pantyhose to rub against the object. I made decor for my betta to be on the safe side, used Sculpy polymer clay (I'll post a link at the end). I know people use the floating logs and betta hammocks, so those could be good. Also, make sure the temperature is around 78-82, the filter doesn't need to be too strong either. The intake could rip his fins so you may need to reduce the flow or cover it. Same with the output, make sure it's not too strong.
I think those are about the basics...
Polymer Clay

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
m.b said:
thank you !! there's a really reputable pet store in my city that treats their bettas really well so i'm definitely getting one from there
Oh, by the way I edited the comment to tell you how you can make it feel safer

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gala said:
Any plants and decor will help, some Indian Almond leaves could help them feel more at home as well. If you get plants I would advise either live or silk, plastic ones can tear up fins. Decor is the same way, make sure it won't tear his fins by using a pantyhose to rub against the object. I made decor for my betta to be on the safe side, used Sculpy polymer clay (I'll post a link at the end). I know people use the floating logs and betta hammocks, so those could be good. Also, make sure the temperature is around 78-82, the filter doesn't need to be too strong either. The intake could rip his fins so you may need to reduce the flow or cover it. Same with the output, make sure it's not too strong.
I think those are about the basics...
Polymer Clay
oo thank u! do you think it would be safe to have the filter uncovered since it's in a grate style?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom