New Fish Aquria In Need of Opinions!

Brut

Reaction score
Hello i am fairly new to the forum and keeping fish, this site had showed me some pretty intresting stuff and i am looking for more information in the set up of my 55 gallon tank.

I have it set up and ready to go, but i cant decide on what to stock in it. I am looking for lively fish that swim and are coloful but at the same time i want bigger fish. I was looking into oscars and fish of that species, but i would like to have more then 2 fish in my tank .

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A cool fish I think are bichirs, do a google on senegal bichir and see if you like it, I think they look awseom. Ya you couldn't have two oscars so they are out.

Austin

Brut

Reaction score
Well i started with some basic fish and i found one in the store that is a less angry version of te senegal bichir, its a rope fish and he loves to swim i bought him at 7 inches long and he doesnt eat my other fish.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
o those are sweet fish too, what fish do you currently have and filteratoin?

Austin

Brut

Reaction score
Well i started off before i had this site and my fish are currently under treatment for a rungus infection but as of now i have
x1 rope fish
x2 kissing gourami's
x2 dwarf gourami's
x2 blue gouarmi's
x4 dolmation mollies (sisters)

i lost many fish to the fungus i had 2 silver dollars, 2 clown loaches, 2 yo yo loaches 2 gold gouarmi's and 2 shark catfish they all pasted.

If the medication fails and all the fish die i am going to clean everything out and start fresh, this is why i asked about what fish for the tank.

currently i have a fuval 405 filter made for a 100g tank but works nice on my 55 gallon. and i also have a penguin 170 bio-wheel.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes get your fungus treated before you buy anymore fish. You have lots of gourami's, I don't know much about them but you should probably watch for territorial problems. Well your tank before was overstocked and is a little bit better now. I think ropefish like being together so you might want to invest in another one later when everything is taken care of. I'll look into that about them later.

Austin

Brut

Reaction score
yeah im waiting to see if they servive this outbreak if alot more die by next i might just step in and do a complete restart.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you treating it with anything now?

Brut

Reaction score
Yeah i am using Erthromycin and ampicillin.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have not already remove the carbon from your filter.

dblaron20

Reaction score
Oscars are big and fun, but only for a short time. They are mean and boring when not eating. Keep with the community theme. I love my gouramis. Still they need room they tend to fight with eachother and the dominant one will take the majority of the tank and leave the others to the corners.

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I personally like variety of smaller community fish over big fish that you can only fit one in a big tank. I really like Bettas too even though you can only have one male per tank, but that's ok because you can have many small tanks. The only exception to having a big tank with only one big occupant is if I have something exotic like a big Moray Eel or Octopus or Puffer.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oscars are sweet fish as long as they are in a large enough tank and if that's the type of fish you like. And yes they need room, they are cichlids, cichlids are AGGRESSIVE that's why you need a large tank to house one and a larger tank for just two. Yes they can be mean to other fish but they have great personalitys and are not boring, it's just your opinion. You just like different type of fish, please don't say they are boring because no fish is really boring, just people like more active fish than others.

Austin

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom