New Fish and Water Went Wonky Help

1. meanddoxie

meanddoxie Valued Member Member

Hey, I added 8 Serpae tetras and 4 albino corydoras to my tank over the past two weeks, four at a time with several days and water checks in between. I also got a plant order in yesterday which is anubias and crypts and I added a third piece of driftwood as well.

My water has been around
    pH 7
    Ammonia 0

and I was out of testing supplies for the other things.

Yesterday I cleaned my filter as it was GROSS, I have a double HOB with biowheels (that actually spin!). I only cleaned one filter and did so with the same water I use for water changes (though the filter was damaged so today I had to buy a new one and replace it)

My water parameters yesterday were
    pH 6 (or lower since it doesnt show on the liquid tests below 6)
    and ammonia was a strip test which showed me three different colors so it was betweeen 0 and 8 (ugh i hate strip tests!!)

Today the store got in a shipment of new tests and called to let me know! YAY!

My parameters with LIQUID tests were
    .5 ammonia
    the test kit for GH and KH confused me as they are nutrifin, it says to multiply the number of drops by 20 for GH to get the color, it took me 29 drops for the solution to go from pink to blue, so that puts my
    GH at 580 mg/L or (ppm)
    and my
    KH was 4 drops times 10, 40 mg/L (PPM)
    1.0 Nitrites

The store still didnt have a Nitrate test kit in so I don't know that.

So, what should I do to get things under control? My numbers seem all over the place and I don't want any die off, I have apple snails and they need good water to have good quality shells. I bought something called Biomax by Aquaclear but wasnt sure if i should add that now when i just took a filter out or not. Thanks for your help!!

2. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

it sounds like your tank is not cycled. Read about the nitrogen cycle . I personally would do a water change and test every evening until the ammonia reaches zero or add tetra safe start. Also filters tend to get very dirty if you feed to much

3. OP
    OP
    meanddoxie

meanddoxie Valued Member Member

My tank has been set up for 2 years and I do regular water changes and vacuuming. I also dont over feed as I have snails and other scavengers for the most part and i let them do their job. I normally just rinse the filters so i am thinking that perhaps it is time for them to be changed completely? I just don't know how many days in between I should wait for one to grow bacteria before changing the other and I also don't know how long i should wait after doing that before adding the biomax? It says it helps your filters work 30% better and absorbs nitrites and ammonia

4. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

well in a cycled tank there should never be ammonia readings. Are you referring to biomax the ceramic rings? If so they can be added at anytime . Also only use aquarium water to rinse filter pads. They only need replaced if they are falling apart changing/rinsing them under the tap sets off a mini cycle

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member