New fish always get Ick

Gnome3G

Hi,

Every time I try to add some new panda corys to my tank they get covered in white spots then die usually a day later. None of the other fish in the tank have white spots on them.

The tank has a couple live plants and the substrate is a mix of gravel and crushed coral.

-Gnome

Tank: 37 Gallon
Ammonia: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 0 ppm
pH: 7-6.6 (fluctuates during the day I guess due to the plants)

Current Fish:
2 Angelfish
7 Black Tetra
2 Tricolor Shark
3 Sunburst Platy
1 Common Pleco
1 Clown Pleco

Blueberrybetta

Do you not quarantine any new fish before you add them to the main tanks? This helps any underlying infections or diseases show because it can take a week or 2 for any symptoms to show. that's why we quarantine fish just to be safe so our main tanks don't get infected. The first way to treat ich is to raise the tank temp slowly to 86° to kill any living ich and stop the breeding cycle. I would also add a tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt

Gnome3G

Do you not quarantine any new fish before you add them to the main tanks? This helps any underlying infections or diseases show because it can take a week or 2 for any symptoms to show. that's why we quarantine fish just to be safe so our main tanks don't get infected. The first way to treat ich is to raise the tank temp slowly to 86° to kill any living ich and stop the breeding cycle. I would also add a tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt

I did not before. I am now. I have a 5 gallon tank with some corys i'm hoping to add to my main tank. I don't understand how this will keep them from getting sick when I add them to my main tank.

In the meantime I will raise my main tanks temperature to try and kill the ick

biscuit

Hi,

Every time I try to add some new panda corys to my tank they get covered in white spots then die usually a day later. None of the other fish in the tank have white spots on them.

The tank has a couple live plants and the substrate is a mix of gravel and crushed coral.

-Gnome

Tank: 37 Gallon
Ammonia: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 0 ppm
pH: 7-6.6 (fluctuates during the day I guess due to the plants)

Current Fish:
2 Angelfish
7 Black Tetra
2 Tricolor Shark
3 Sunburst Platy
1 Common Pleco
1 Clown Pleco
have you been getting all the corys from the same place? I know it's a long shot but if the other fish in your tank aren't getting ich then maybe it's a problem with the supplier

Blueberrybetta

have you been getting all the corys from the same place? I know it's a long shot but if the other fish in your tank aren't getting ich then maybe it's a problem with the supplier

I was about to comment that ! I know a place that sells fish and every time I go , they ALWAYS have ick so it could be the supplier as well, that's why I'd quarantine next time

Gnome3G

The past times they were from the same place. The ones I am quarantining now are from a different place. I hope the issue is just the supplier.

faydout

Not super confident, I hope someone smarter adds to this thread, but I think you should be careful adding salts with Cory's. I thought I had read that they don't do well at all with them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
55 Gallon Tank Sudden 2 platies dead
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
SolidTetra
  • Question
Replies
Views