New fish addition made my tank mad

Corydora0101

Reaction score
hey guys, I added 4 peacock gugdeons to my established 54gal on Tuesday and when I tested the water last night the nitrate was 5.0ppm so I did a 30% wc.. this am the nitrate is still elevated and my ammonia levels spiked.. im doing another wc today.. am I doing something wrong or is my tank just getting acclimated?

OP
C

Corydora0101

Reaction score
Yes, partially planted i just need to start adding foreground plants. Should I continue testing the water once a day to make sure the nitrites stay 0 until the bioload is managed?

Ammonia was 0.5ppm

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would do a 50-75% WC and test the ammonia n nitrites tomorrow... how long has it been set up? It was cycled before adding fish or did u do a fish in cycle?

KSo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can use prime every 48 hours to bind to the ammonia and make it less toxic for the tank. Continue with water changes and keep an eye on your parameters. Nitrates are normal in an established tank, as long as it’s under 40 ppm from what I recall. Good luck!

OP
C

Corydora0101

Reaction score
Its an established community tank going on 3-4 months.. the levels just read this today... it's been normal up until I added my gugdgeons tuesday

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you added the new fish you increased the bioload and your beneficial bacteria colony, aka cycle, isnt equipped to handle it. It needs to grow to the size of the new bioload, which it will do over time. Youll need to keep tabs on ammonia and nitrites and do necessary water changes to keep those at safe levels. 5ppm of nitrate is 100% harmless and NOTHING to worry about (if it were 5ppm nitrites youd have fish dying). If ammonia or nitrites get near 1ppm or above, then youll need to get on water changes based on the level theyre at.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Dianev said it best.
only thing I’ll add is if it is a planted tank you will actually want some nitrates. Fertilizers will add that. Monitor ammonia and nitrites and both those should be zero or as close as possible. Your BB will catch up as stated.
now I have a fairly well planted tank and strive to keep my tank dosed with fertilizers to keep my nitrates about 10ppm. Of you have none your plants won’t grow and will fade away.

OP
C

Corydora0101

Reaction score
Thats good to know about the nitrates and my plants! I've got some monte Carlo mats coming in next week to start carpeting the floor of the tank so ill definitely keep the nitrates in mind for sur!!

New Threads