New Fish Acting Strangely

1. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000 Well Known Member Member

Hello all, I have a school of 5 pygmy corydoras and I want to up their numbers. At the pet store today, they only had one pygmy corydora, so I brought the one home. I acclimated it by matching the water temps, then pouring the new fish and it's water into a bowl and adding a cup of water every 15 min untill the water volume was tripled. I then moved the new fish to my tank.

It looked healthy to me, and not stressed. But it's just treading water in the middle of the tank, exploring up and down a bit, but goes back to mid level. The other corydoras are all swimming around by the sand. Is the new guy just getting used to the new tank?

Thanks in advanced!

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Yeah give it 3 days, he should be schooling with the rest by then :)

3. GreekGills

GreekGills Valued Member Member

One of my barbs did the same, didn't hang out with the rest of the school at first. As days went on, he got more and more comfortable and now he's doing great

4. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

Imagine if you were placed into a room full of people that had groups of friends already established and you were on your own, it’s the same for fish, you wouldn’t just jump right in and start hanging around with a group straight away, well I wouldn’t at least, but saying that I probably wouldn’t join a group ever I’m very socially awkward lol!

5. OP
    OP
    Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000 Well Known Member Member

Okay, thanks guys! Here's a picture of him for fun IMG_20180527_131312.jpg