New Firemouths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Too bad you guys aren't closer you could have my firemouth. He's pretty and all but I don't think he's going to be great in a 30 gallon when he gets full size. (I acquired him with the tank.)

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I had to guess I would say they all look to be Meeki, just not showing great color. The red although not super bright is there.

Brian

OP
F

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I had to guess I would say they all look to be Meeki, just not showing great color. The red although not super bright is there.

Brian
I assure you that they are not all Meeki. I have 1 T. Meeki but the rest are yellow Meeki.. (That was a huge contradiction but thats what everyone seems to call them)

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not saying they are for sure T. Meeki or T. Affinis, if I had to guess from the above pics the coloring looks Meeki to me is all.
Here some pics of my Meeki and Affinis for comparison for you maybe it will help some maybe not. The Affinis are close to double size also of the Meeki, the Affinis normally don't show great coloring until close to 4" while decent Meeki will at 1.5" or so.

T. Affinis
452.jpg

453.jpg

454.jpg

T. Meeki
681.jpg

685.jpg

662.jpg

If you have T. Affinis I would suggest keeping them as they don't come around near as often as they should. Good luck with them.

Brian

OP
F

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yup, I have 3 T. Affinis.. In my area, there are TONS of these but rarely any T. Meeki's..

I think I'm going to release them into my uncles 200 gallon...

Btw, Nice looking Meeki's you got! I would die for a pair that looked like your fish

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, I have 3 T. Affinis.. In my area, there are TONS of these but rarely any T. Meeki's..

I think I'm going to release them into my uncles 200 gallon...

Btw, Nice looking Meeki's you got! I would die for a pair that looked like your fish

Thanks man, I got 6 and they started spawning around 1.5"-1.75". One pair had free swimming fry that I used for feeders and another pair has had wigglers. And the extra 2 are males.

With the Affinis for sure don't get rid of them they are awesome when they grow. If your uncle will take them thats a good choice. I have been looking for a link to show you and finally found it. It shows some nice ones to show you what they look like grown. Scroll down a bit there are some other fish also you have to get through.
http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7402&hilit=Thorichthys+Affinis

Brian

OP
F

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh wow. My Affinis were MUCH more colorful than that of the ones in those pictures.

I was wondering, could T. Meeki and Affinis mate with each other? That question has been bothering me for a while..

OP
F

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
100% yes. Anytime you mix anything it becomes a hybrid.
Darn.. One last question. Can the Hybrid offspring still reproduce? My friends are counting on me to breed my fish and let them have some of the babies, but I don't want them to miss out on experiencing the parental care of these amazing fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom