New filters don't fit inside cabinet: what do I do?

1. Heather12404 Member Member

So I just got my new filters in the mail. I got 2 AquaTop CF-300's (as Jaysee recommended). They're too tall to fit inside my cabinet!!! I'm so bummed about this.
    So my question is: where do I put these filters now?
    One on each side of the tank on the floor?
    Or do I attempt to get a small table of some sort and put them both on that?
    I've never owned canister filters before so I don't know where they should go ideally.
    Please help me.
    ~Heather

2. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Heather,

Putting it on each side of the tank on the floor is fine or if you want both on the same side that is fine as well. I dont think there is no need to get a table and place them. It is really up to you and what you prefer.

I have a CF-400 and just ordered a CF-500 today. I love the brand and a good price.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They don't fit huh...... That's a bummer.

The tubing is long enough that you can have both filters on one side of the tank, though the intake and spraybar will be at the opposite end for one. I would get a table of some sort, but not to put them on - to put over the filters. You can put a curtain of some sort between the legs to hide them, and a little table top space next to a fish tank is never a bad thing :)

4. Heather12404 Member Member

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that it didn't matter where I put them. Jaysee you were so right....these things hold a ton of media!!!! I can't wait to get them up and running.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It does matter - you want them below the tank :)

6. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I love them too...I took Jaysee advice and bought myself a CF-500 and just got off the phone with TruAqua that my canister will shipped out today and I will be getting it tomorrow considering I live a couple cities down.

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I agree. You need gravity to siphon the water into the filter, so height is a consideration, but what side of the tank, that's not important.

And I do like the idea of a table or something to hide them ;)

It might also pay to put some plastic under them to start with, just in case any small leaks show up, you won't end up with water on your floor. Only short-term, once everything is up and running, you'll know after a week or two if you've got any leaks that need fixing.

8. Heather12404 Member Member

So I hope I set these things up correctly.
    The bottom tray:
    the blue sponge and white cotton layers that came with it
    1 750g box of Fluval Pre-Filters
    The middle tray:
    the cotton layer that came with it
    2 bio-max bags and 1 cut up sponge from my AquaClear 70
    The top tray:
    the white cotton layer that came with it
    1.5 500g boxes of Fluval Bio-Max
    Then I poured in the old nasty water from my AquaClears into both CF-300's.
    I set them up on the floor, one on each side of the tank. Then I primed them and turned them on and so far so good. So what do I do now? Just keep an eye on my water parameters? Jaysee said I wouldn't lose my cycle. I don't see how I would since all I did was move my cycle from one filter to another, right?
    I'm guessing just watch my parameters just in case.
    I still am amazed at how much media these things hold.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I put all of the filter pads together in one tray. I don't know why they send them out with one in each like that.

The prefilter media ought to be the first thing the water encounters. That traps all the large particles. The smaller particles pass through the prefilters to the filter pads. That the end of the main mechanical filtration. Next comes biological, and if you want you can add something to polish the water as one final mechanical filter, before it's returned to the tank

10. Heather12404 Member Member

So do you think with the way I have it set up it will be ok? I really don't want to reopen them and pull everything out again.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You can certainly wait till you open it up next.

Give them a gentle rock back and forth to get all the air out.

Amazon - the CF 500 is HUGE. I hope it fits under your tank ;)

12. Heather12404 Member Member

So I should be ok until I open it up again in like 6 months? You said I wouldn't need to open it up again for 6 months because it's such a great filter.
    I'm so impressed with them already. They're so quiet! I didn't realize how noisy my HOB filters were. I was shocked how big these things are. But man they hold a ton of media....which is awesome for all that good bacteria to grow on.
    I can see why you told me that once people go to canister filters they never go back to HOB filters.....I think I'm there already. Why would anyone want a HOB when a canister is so much quieter and holds so much more media? It's like a total fish keeping no brainer.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would open them up to fix that before then. The fluval prefilters catching the large particles goes a long way to keeping the pads from clogging up. If you've got a pad before them, then the prefilters can't do their job and the pad will clog up.

As far as the 6 months goes - it's having both filters that allows you to go longer between maintenance. Since the filtering is split between 2 filters, it takes twice as long for them to get dirty - although I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.