New filter

1. dawnearly Initiate Member

My tank is about 2 1/2 weeks old, and going through the cycling period I have a 38 gallon tank, and the "setup" I got with the tank was a Tetra whisper 30. Now reading up on filtration, I see that you want to have a filter that AT LEAST filters the amount of water you have in the tank :mad: soooooo I went and picked up a Tetratec pf300 that filters from 30-60 gallons !! But.....do I want to set that up until the cycling period is over??? I don't have a huge problem with the existing one filtering, since it has only been set up for a couple of weeks....or do I need to do it right away ?? ??? ???

2. joe Member Member

u can wait if u want but i dont think it matters as long as u cut a piece of the filter media sponge part or something and put it in ur new filter. that worked for me setting up my 10 gallon tank. hope that helps :)

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I would definately set up the new filter so it will collect bacteria also. When buying a new filter, don't rely on what the box says for what size tank it is good for. Look at the gallons per hour (gph), and try and have enough gph that it filters the amount of your tank 10 times per hour. So for a 20 gallon tank, the goal is filtration of 200 gph. You may want to leave your old filter on that tank along with adding your new filter, depending on the combined gph rate. You really can't have too much filtration! ;)

4. dawnearly Initiate Member

Do I need to squeeze out my old filter into the tank so that the bactiria that is already established in the old filter gets into the new filter?? Or just throw it away ??

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Rinse the old filter in used tank water, then put part of the old media into the new filter with the new media.
    Carol

6. dawnearly Initiate Member

ok great thanks a bunch. I woke up this morning to super white cloudy water. I am hoping that the new filter will help !!