New filter?

kaiii234

I currently have a 10 gallon tank for my betta fish, I used SafeStart to cycle it and I have an already cycled filter, however, it’s too small for this new tank and it’s slowing down so I need to upgrade. I put in another filter just for more o2 and water flow and I purchased filter media to cut and place into the filter (this was originally to put behind my current filter so it could cycle before I replaced it but it wouldn’t fit). So now I’m wondering if adding that filter media to the new filter and running the new filter as well as the old filter would crash the nitrogen cycle or be harmful to my fish.

DoubleDutch

Cant you put the old media and new media in the new filter ?

Upvote 0

kaiii234

Cant you put the old media and new media in the new filter ?
I tried it and it didn’t work, I may have to get an entire new filter.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Running two filters in a tank should not be an issue. The beneficial bacteria will distribute themselves between the two filters over time. I often keep more than one filter in a tank to insure that I do not mess up the nitrogen cycle even if I wipe out the bacteria in one of the filters.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Then run the old and the new filter along each other for at least three weeks.
Maybe it is an idea to puta part of the old media in the new one and the other way around. After three weeks swap things back and the new one must be ready to do things on its own.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
Replies
Views
Skye_marilyn
Replies
Views
Becca-fibo