New Filter Question

1. LaniKai

LaniKai Member Member

So I bought a new fluval 406 canister filter for my new 72 gallon bow front and I want to put some of my old media from the same kind of filter in it to help it cycle. How much of the old media should I put in the new filter? Also what part of the media do I transfer over?

2. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

The sponge filter part, really any piece will do as far as I know but I'm not familiar with canister filters. You can also try some quick start bacteria. I like TLC, it cycled my 10 gallon in a week with a totally new filter and all.

3. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

LaniKai Member Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Just to make sure IMG_0603.JPG this is what I want to transfer over? Do I transfer the whole thing or just a few of the sponges? I don’t want to ruin my other tank cycle.

I have nite-out II nitrifying bacteria by microbe-lift but I bought it like 3 years ago. Would it still be okay to add?

4. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

I think most bacteria have to be refrigerated after oh so long but TLC doesn't so just check that but most additives don't last more than a few years. As far as the filter goes you should be able to add any piece really as long as it's from a well cycled tank. I want to say at least like a 1x1 square but you should call a LFS and double check for a more solid and quick response. I'm just assuming on that Haha

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Never call a fish store for questions like that, you’ll get wild answers. What kind of filter does the old one contain, and what’s the brand?

6. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

Well maybe depending on the store. My LFS here is awesome with odd questions like that but that doesn't speak for other private businesses and big chains Haha it was a suggestion because I didn't want to be misleading.

7. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

LaniKai Member Member

My LFS (Wet Spot) is fairly knowledgeable about fish but I feel like you guys know a bit more lol.

Both filters are Fluval 406 Canister filters.

Would the nite-out harm the fish tank if its expired?

8. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

Being unfamiliar with the product I can't say for sure. I think my bottle of TLC was like 8 dollars dollars though, in my opinion it isn't worth the risk. Then again my bottle doesn't note an "expiration" date either.. when in doubt, toss it out I say.

9. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

If they are the same filter I would switch out 2 of the sponges. They have biomedia as well so it shouldn't disrupt your cycle too much. I have the fluval 206 and when I took my aquaclear down I put most of the media in the 206.

10. AquaticJ

Agreed with @NLindsey921. Or it might be better to take one sponge and then take 25% of the ceramic bio media as well. It should instantly cycle your tank, just be sure to lightly stock it at first. Another question I have is, how long has the old 406 been on the existing tank? More importantly, how long has the old 406 been on the tank when the tank is cycled?

I work at a LFS (not just fish), it’s a chain, and many of my coworkers don’t know what they’re talking about. :p I’d always just post here instead of asking one employee, because if someone says something wrong on here, they’ll quickly be corrected by someone else 99.9% of the time.

11. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

LaniKai Member Member

I bought the old tank used so I don't know exactly how long the previous people had the filter for but I've had it for about a month and the water tests okay with the fish in it.

I'll never trust advice given in any chain LFS lol. I've asked questions that I knew the answer to and they have always given me horrible answers.

12. sinned4g63

sinned4g63 Member Member

Yeah luckily for me I have a large privately owned fish store near me. Lots of employees to ask and confirm with Haha but I don't trust petsmart and the sort.

13. AquaticJ

What does the water testing “okay” mean though? ;)

14. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

LaniKai Member Member

Well someone is being picky lol I just tested the water and I have 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrites and around 10 Nitrates (its super hard to tell the exact color).

15. AquaticJ

I’m just picking on you because sometimes when people say “okay” their water isn’t very good. Sounds like your filter is properly loaded with bacteria, so you shouldn’t have any problems taking out either two sponges or one sponge and some bio media.

16. OP
    OP
    LaniKai

LaniKai Member Member

I know I was just joking with you . Okay sounds good. Thank you guys for your help! I really appreciate it.