New Filter

1. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Hi, now i have two smaller filters juwel bio one and pat mini sponge filters. But i just bought fluval 206 for my 20 gallon tank.
    In fluval i have 3 baskets one came with active carbon so i was thinking to remove that carbon, get all sponges from two other filters and add that to basket at bottom, first basket that will have contact with water, after that bio sponge that i did get with filter, mabey water polisher on top of that and on last basket bio rings.

Will that be ok? Will my filter be unstable or it is instantly cicled?
    Can i introduce new fish in tank or better to wait for week?
    Btw. Tank and filter media have 3 months now.

After 3-4 weeks i would start removing old filter sponges and start adding more bio rings trough next month.

2. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

Add the sponges to the 1st tray that hits the water (usually bottom tray), you can add bottom coarse, mid medium pad and then the fine &/ polishing pad at the top (all in the bottom tray). The other 2 trays can be packed up with media for BB. This setup is ideal for canisters and gives maximum area for BB to home avoiding future cycle issues when you clean the substrate too much :)

Your filter pads from previous filter are seeded and will have BB on it so you are cycled, but add fish slowly and let bacteria catch up on the media before you get to full bio load. Also some folks advise adding a polishing pad at the top, i would strictly advise against that - all polishing pads and filter pads to be there before the water hits the media, you do not want any muck / dirt falling into the media and clog the pores.

Also, ceramic rings are good start for media but do not last very long, you can use lava rock (cheap) as an alternative or biohome / matrix (expensive). I have 3 of my 4 trays in sunsun 304b packed with biohome and matrix.

Hope this helps.

3. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

OP, I agree with @Tesla except for the above statement, never heard of that before, outside of them clogging due to not being at the end of the filter chain.

4. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx on replay i did get some bio sponge that is wavey and it is for made for bb aperently. So 1 tray old sponges (that is mix of hard, medium and fine sponge) medium sponge/polish filter, 2. tray bio sponge(later i would mabey change it for some type of filter media and 3. tray bio media? Can i mix lava and bio rings? I have few big lava rocks that was in my tank i just smash them and add? Can they get to impeller if they are in 3. tray?

I am at about 60-70% stock right now and i didn't have any problems with previus filters but i just ran into good price for external and i bought it.

5. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Yes i agree with you, people did use bio ring years before and never had a problem, i think it's just marketing with all new stuff and youtube that is a problem. And as i know you cant have more bacteria than your system needs so if those 3-4 sponges i had was enough i think this big filter will have a plenty of room for them.