New Filter w/ Old Filter New tank Cycle

1. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

37 Gal. PH 7.4-7.6, A- .25 Na- 1.0 - OR HIGHER (Been changing water every day to remove), Ni- 5-10 maybe 20. I have started over again and again with learning more about the Nit. cycle. I have a Topfin 40 its been running for 1 month. I bought and added a new filter. both are running and for the past week.
    my question is...did I cause more harm by adding more filtration during my cycle to cause these numbers to spike? or is my tank just going through its cycle. side note. my filter looks dirty as dark. change filter maybe ?

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No, definitely don't change the filter media! That's where your bacteria are growing and until they become established you don't even want to rinse them. What do you have in your tank that your media has become so dark? Any fish or plants? What kind of substrate?

3. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

4. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I made the mistake of spraying the filter at the 2 week mark and I notice my tank finally started to cycle. I would like to know if adding a new filter with the old filter cause my cycle to be longer or shorter oh and Gravel

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Shouldn't have. You'll end up with the same amount of BB processing ammonia it will just be spread out more with more surface area to inhabit.

Have you added any chemicals to the water of any kind?

The catfish is the probable reason for your filter being so dark. Is it a variety of Bristlenose Pleco? They are poop machines LOL!

Do need to add though that you should rehome your clown loach. They can get to be about a foot long and need to be in groups of 6 or more;)

6. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

so having two filters (one being the original) and adding a new one on top of what I already had is bad? Prime and Start Z. is my main water change along with Easy Bal. Plus. I am able to get my levels down after water changes which I have been doing every other day for a week because of my high levels.

as for the cat fish.....kinda looks like it but all white spots but not a similar face.

as for my Clown I am aware he has a small home...never listen to Pet store employees. lol I plan to upgrade once I afford to...

should I remove the new/Additional filter until it has cycle? or just leave it and allow it to cycle with the two I have running?

7. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

also sorry if I was not clear...I mean the Filter unit not the pads

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No, having two filters isn't bad at all. In fact, it's a very good thing to do because in case of emergency you'll always have a backup.

Can you post a picture of the catfish?

I'm not familiar with Start Z or Easy Balance.

You do know that you'll need I think a 125 gallon tank for your clown loaches?

9. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

he is a albino Bristlenose Pleco. Start Z is a API product used to help Bio Filter lower nit. Easy Bal. is a Tetra product. its a ph regulater. helps reduce Nit as well. the more and more I realize I could be over dose. I have decided to do water changes with just prime and AQ salt. Maybe the Sart Z. too much of it will never allow my Bio to set? I don't know..thanks for helping I a def a newbie lol.

125? preferred or Min size? I thought 55 or higher would be ok?

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

By "nit" do you mean nitrites? You don't need any product to do that unless you have them in your source water or a really overstocked cycled tank. Your tank doesn't appear to be cycled yet.

You don't need a pH regulator either.

Please only use Prime with your water changes, NO SALT. Some of the fish you have are extremely sensitive and can easily die.

And yes, I meant 125 for Clown Loaches because they need to be in a group. TexasDomer, what are your thoughts on minimum tank size for Clown Loaches?

11. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

yes I do and yes its still cycling. I got into this buying a lot of fish and little research. lucky me I have only lost a few. Ill prime it up and no salt. thanks again for all your help!

oh boy 125 I'm excited!!!

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, 125 gal minimum for a small group.