New Filter Media

Logan Bright

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So... I took out the filter cartridge that was in my Marineland Penguin 100 filter and replaced it with
and . Will this have a positive or negative effect on my tank?

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Keep the old filter cartridge in the tank with your new media so the new media has time to be seeded. Removing the old pad right anyway can throw off your cycle

Logan Bright

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FreshestFreshwater said:
Keep the old filter cartridge in the tank with your new media so the new media has time to be seeded. Removing the old pad right anyway can throw off your cycle
Oh... well what about all the other times I replaced the cartridge, did that throw off the cycle?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably. The manufactures tell you replace every few months. They tell you so you spend more money on their stuff. Removing the old one and replacing it will cause the tank to cycle again putting your fish in harms way.

I did this years ago until I learned that wasn’t right. What you should do is get some more media like bio rings and put them in the mesh bag and jam it into your filter with you cartridge. Get as much as you can in there. In about a month you can remove the cartridge and your tank should be good to go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom