New filter in with old? Question

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

If I put my new filter cartridge in with the filter on my cycled tank how long would it take for the bacteria to attached to it? I have MTS and got another used 10gal off Craigslist. I want to use it for breeding red cherry shrimp. I took the filter cartridge out of it and put it in the filter of my large cycled tank. How long would I have to leave it there in order to seed my tank? I'm not putting any fish in that tank so I don't want to lose the cherries when I first put them in. Any suggestions? Maybe I should get a couple of little fish just to test it out? I have Rasbora in my big tank how are they on cycling? If they're good I could move them into my big tank with no problem.

2. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I've left cartridges back to back for around 2 weeks, but wait to hear what others say. I mostly just use bags of media now which is a little easier to piece out when dealing with mts. :)

3. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

I am curious as well. I am considering beginning a second smaller tank at the same time as upgrading the HOB on my larger tank.

I have a QuietFlow 10 on a ten gallon and may upgrade it to a QuietFlow 20. I figured I would put the smaller established cartridge in front of the larger in the new filter for a period of time then at some point remove it to start a five gallon tank.

I was thinking two weeks but honestly that was a shot in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

I have a bunch of the media Stars n my larger cycled tank. Should I put half of them into the tank I'm trying to get started? How long after can I add the shrimp?

5. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I have heard that 6 weeks is your best bet for ensuring that bacteria will establish. You can probably do 2 weeks, but make sure that you stock very lightly to begin with, then add more shrimp later.

6. Phishphin

Red Cherry Shrimp have a ridiculously small bioload. The amount of waste or left over food I give mine produce such a small amount of ammonium (so small nitrite, small nitrate), that you would really only need a single sponge filter for your 10 gallon (if you were only keeping the RCS). You can always add whatever media you want, but you will probably just have some BB die off due to the reduced bioload of the shrimp. Here is a picture of my RCS "dump tank". They have been thriving very nicely and all my females are "berried". The DIY sponge filter just had some left over media resting on it.
    [​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

But how sensitive are the shrimp to the new tank? You're supposed to make sure you have hearty fish in the new cycle tank what about shrimp?

8. 77Impala

77Impala Well Known Member Member

On my 55 gallon I moved the family of fish from a 26 to the 55 with the filter (Aqueon 55/75) and added a new Aquatech 40/60 to the tank. In 5 days the new filter already had the earthly smell on the filter pads.

Now to insta-cycle tanks I keep extra bio media in the Aqueon unit, for it has plenty of extra room, and transfer what I need to my new tank when it is ready. Also handy when you plan on changing out a filter unit like I just did the other night on my ADF tank. That helps to stop even a mini-cycle.

9. Phishphin

RCS are some of the hardiest shrimp out there. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app