New Filter In Old Tank Before Moving To New Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AquaticAdam, Apr 18, 2018.

1. AquaticAdamNew MemberMember

Hi all who reads this!

I have a 30 gal tank which is fully cycled with good water parameters. I have decided to use my old 5 gal tank to breed shrimp.

I have put the sponge filter that I will be putting in the 5 gal in my 30 gal tank. I am hoping that this will soak up some of that lovely bacteria.

Just wanting a second opinion really. I will keep the filter in my 30 gal for about a week, then I’m hoping that when I move this to my 5 gal tank, it will cycle quicker.

Any other suggestions?

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

What your doing sounds good, i would also stick the filter pad from your 30 gallon to the 5 gallon. you might not collect enough bacteria on the sponge in a week. If you move the pads then your aquarium should be cycled in just a few days.

3. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Can you use both in your 30 gallon for closer to a month? I have heard/read shrimp prefer a mature tank. But yes - the idea is a very sound one recommended often on Fishlore

4. OP
    OP
    A

AquaticAdamNew MemberMember

That’s a good idea. I have a fluval u3 in the 30 gal. I’m sure it won’t miss one of the two foam pads for a couple of days. Unless this foam pad has to stay in there for quite a while?

5. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

You could even scrape off some of the gunk on the filter pad and put it in the 5 gallon if you wanted.

6. OP
    OP
    A

AquaticAdamNew MemberMember

Thanks for the help both

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Just curious. Have you actually done this and if so did it actually help cycle a tank? I have always though all that gunk is just that...gunk, as in waste that has had all the nutrients used up.

To the OP, that is a very good idea but I don't think a week is long enough to build up enough bacteria I would let it run at least 2 weeks but 3 would be better.

8. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I have used that method before and it does work. Not as well as the entire filter pad, but still very quick.

9. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukaiValued MemberMember

I have done it before and it worked for me.

10. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Thank you both. It is good to have this information from folks that it has actually worked for. Nothing beats first hand experiences for proof.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice