New filter in cycled tank

Beverley Barker

Hi
My filter in my cold water tank is getting a bit old so I decided to get a new one so under recommendation at the store i purchased the Oase Bioplus 200 for my 25 gallon tank, as my tank has been running for a couple of years now i was told to keep the older filter running and just put the new filter in and leave both for a few weeks which im doing but now the water is slightly cloudy, im doing water tests and there's no problem there and as the tank is well established I didn't know if this is usual or not?

Dunk2

Beverley Barker said:
Hi
My filter in my cold water tank is getting a bit old so I decided to get a new one so under recommendation at the store i purchased the Oase Bioplus 200 for my 25 gallon tank, as my tank has been running for a couple of years now i was told to keep the older filter running and just put the new filter in and leave both for a few weeks which im doing but now the water is slightly cloudy, im doing water tests and there's no problem there and as the tank is well established I didn't know if this is usual or not?
Did you rinse the media in the new filter well? If not, that could be causing the cloudiness.

Another option would be to transfer all the media from the old filter to the new one.

Beverley Barker

Dunk2 said:
Did you rinse the media in the new filter well? If not, that could be causing the cloudiness.

Another option would be to transfer all the media from the old filter to the new one.
Hi
Errr no I didn't soak the new media the man in the aquatics shop said to just place the filter straight in. Is it too late to do this now? and will the cloudiness hurt my fish?
Thank you for reply.

Dunk2

Beverley Barker said:
Hi
Errr no I didn't soak the new media the man in the aquatics shop said to just place the filter straight in. Is it too late to do this now? and will the cloudiness hurt my fish?
Thank you for reply.
I don’t think the cloudiness will hurt your fish and it should improve as you do water changes.

Beverley Barker

Beverley Barker said:
Hi
Thank you for reply.
Sorry i meant is it too late now to swap media over from original filter to new filter, it's been in there for 3 days now.

EntirelyEm

Beverley Barker said:
Hi
Thank you for reply.
im not sure if it's too late for that, but if your water tests are coming out fine then i dont think there should be anything to worry about

Beverley Barker

Dunk2 said:
I don’t think the cloudiness will hurt your fish and it should improve as you do water changes.
Ahh that's what i was going to ask as to whether I should still do the 20% water changes I have been doing or would that make the cloudiness worse?

Dunk2

Beverley Barker said:
Sorry i meant is it too late now to swap media over from original filter to new filter, it's been in there for 3 days now.
Nope, I don’t think it’s too late. If you do the swap, just be sure to test your water parameters daily for a week or so.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom