20 Gallon Tank New Filter for Goldfish Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After a bout with nematodes, I decided to upgrade my filtration system on my 20 gallon long fancy goldfish tank (1 resident). I got the 20-40 filter from Aqua Tech which turns over 160 gallons per hour - 8 times the amount of water in the tank.

I want to prevent as much debris as possible from getting into the substrate - my 10-20 filter just wasn't cutting it. It has a new place - my 10 gallon tank.

I can really see the difference!

My question is, can too much water flow stress fish? Or do they like it?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When my fancy was in a 29, I had an emperor 400 for filtration.

You should really considder switching the gravel out for sand. It'll keep your tank cleaner because the waste will not settle in the substrate.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as theres a spot where the fish can get out of the current it should be ok. if it were a pond goldfish, like a common, i dont think it would really care that much anyway, but a fancy, i'm not too sure

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It'll find a spot where it can hang out and not have to fight the current, especially if there are some mountainous decorations to get behind.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

More or stronger filtration is just about always good as long as the fish aren't being blown around the tank by the current. Tall ornaments as you've mentioned is a good idea to help break up the current.

You can also place a sponge in the outflow area of the filter (assuming the filter mentioned is a hang on back (HOB). Cut it a bit larger than the outflow area so the current doesn't push it into the tank. Make it a tight fit. Link below may help too should the need arise:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/39815-how-slow-down-current-filter.html
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/57471-filter-flow-diffusers.html

Ken

OP
kreuztraeger

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pom Jr. (the goldfish) doesn't seem to be having much trouble getting around. I think he's already adjusted to the new water flow pattern.

By the way he really isn't a "fancy" goldfish like those that have trouble swimming or trouble seeing due to the shape of their bodies - he just has paired tail fins and a chubby midsection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom