New Filter And Cloudy Water Question

1. Paul Ballenger

Paul Ballenger New Member Member

So, about a week and a half ago, my filter started to die. It was the TopFin 20 that came with my aquarium starter kit. It had been acting strange for a while, so I had already ordered a new Fluval c4 for my 20 gallon tank. Overkill yes, but for the sale price , I couldn't resist. Anyway, two days after the new filter arrived, my old filter died completely. I did not have the option to run the two together to cycle the new filter. Also, the old filter media would not fit in the new compartmentalized C4. So, I stuck the old filter media behind the intake tube of the new filter in the tank and started it up. My water parameters have not changed at all. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate stays between 10-20. I have a pretty heavily planted tank, and i do a 25% WC weekly. However, my water has become very hazy after the filter change. It is milky white. Any ideas if this is just a bacterial bloom from changing the filter? It has been hazy for a little over a week now. Water parameters still normal.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

You can never have too much filtration!
    Since you wont be using the topfin cartridge, maybe take off the sponge with a razor blade and tuck it into the new filter.

It probably is a bacterial bloom since 95% of the beneficial bacteria is on the filter. As long as your tank isn’t overstocked and you added all the media then you most likely wont have a problem with parameters. Give it a few more days, if it hasn’t cleared do a water change.

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You could supplement the new media with a bottle of bacteria to help.

4. OP
    OP
    Paul Ballenger

Paul Ballenger New Member Member

I will try cutting up the old media and stuffing it into the new filter. I am also using Seachem Stabilty to help seed the new filter.