Status
Not open for further replies.

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello Everyone!

I want to upgrade my 10G tank to a 20G. I have 5 adults guppies ( 1 male and 4 females) I want to upgrade cause I have some guppies fry at the netbreed

and they're getting bigger. My question is, I have AquaSafe 20 on my 10 gallon and I want to buy AquaSafe 50 for the 20G. I'm thinking to put the AquaSafe 50 on the 10Gallon aquarium and let them run side by side for a month to let the new one establish. Can I do that ? I can't setup the 20 gallon aquarium because I will put it in the same place as the 10 gallon is right now.
Any advice will be appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bumping this up for you

flchamp89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't really know that filter. But easiest way would be use some cycled tank media to seed new tank.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Move the media to the new filter and add more as needed to fill the compartment, and your cycled media will ensure water quality in the new tank.

Lynxster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yep, I agree move the media from the old filter to your new one for a couple weeks and you should be good!

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OP doesn't have both tanks yet.

For now, you can run the new filter on the old tank and let it establish BB that way. Just make sure the current flow isn't too much for the inhabitants.

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OP doesn't have both tanks yet.

For now, you can run the new filter on the old tank and let it establish BB that way. Just make sure the current flow isn't too much for the inhabitants.
Yes. you right...I don't have both tanks yet...
Also I'm not decided yet what to buy ..
Upgrade to 20 or 29 gallon.. at Petsmart is a kit Marineland 20 gallon that comes with penguin 150B power filter for $129.99. This one fits on the same place I have my 10 gallon Or to buy a 29 gallon class aquarium with stand. ... I just undecided...

Thanks!

Last edited:

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I looked up the Marineland kit on Petsmart website. It comes with some pretty nice stuff all together.

IMO, if you have space and funds for the 29 gallon, go for that. I know it comes with a stand, whereas you probably want to buy more aquarium stuff instead of a stand, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the larger tank, too.

A third alternative is if you have Petco nearby, they are having their $1/gallon sale for a few days more, ends soon. Maybe you can price together a tank combo that you like, including to get a filter that you wanted, instead of the one that comes with the tank which might get replaced anyway, depending on your interest to do that or not.

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I looked up the Marineland kit on Petsmart website. It comes with some pretty nice stuff all together.

IMO, if you have space and funds for the 29 gallon, go for that. I know it comes with a stand, whereas you probably want to buy more aquarium stuff instead of a stand, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the larger tank, too.

A third alternative is if you have Petco nearby, they are having their $1/gallon sale for a few days more, ends soon. Maybe you can price together a tank combo that you like, including to get a filter that you wanted, instead of the one that comes with the tank which might get replaced anyway, depending on your interest to do that or not.
There is a Petco store nearby ..maybe today or tomorrow I will go check the $1/gallon sale, thanks to let me know that!
The stand that I have with my 10 gallon is 28in.length/12in. width, it's small for a 30 gallon aquarium. So..if I gonna buy the 30 gallon I must have to buy a stand, new filter and a stronger heater, maybe I will buy the same filter what I have right now (Aquaclear 20)...it will be two filters Aquaclear 20 enough for 30 gallon ?
I used to have a 30 gallon aquarium Long time ago ..but at that time I did not have a clue how to take care of the fish... I made a lot of mistakes. Well..I'm so excited to upgrade and release the fry Guppies from the netbreed.. I think they are big enough now.
Thanks again..
Have a great day!

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
if you have the funds, upgrade. Otherwise you will want to upgrade again even sooner. But if your upgrading and buying a stand mine as well go big or go home! (40, 50, or even 70 gallon tank) hahahaha...as long as you move current media to the new filter, you will be fine. But if the current isnt too strong, i would just run both filters simultaneously for a few weeks and then complete the upgrade/switch. But if you have 2 filters and dont mind the looks, i would prob just run both filters on the new tank as well!

dylan blu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Takeout the new filter media and put it in the old tank after 1mounth change the aquarium and use the new filter mieda

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today I finally bought what I wanted!
So..tomorrow I will upgrade my 10 gallon to my new 29 gallon.
I got the Aqueon filter 30.
Let me ask you guys...I'm thinking to take everything from my 10 gallon(filter Aquaclear 20, plants, decoration, substrate etc...) and put it all to the 29 gallon and fill with more water (of course with prime) if I do that will be ok?

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks great, looks like you have got everything in one run.

As for your question about how to move everything, I have not done it myself but others have, and they said it works because all that surface items, including filter, have the beneficial bacteria. So moving them to a new tank still has the same items that were helping the old tank.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as you add the fish in at the same time as the filter, you'll be fine. Or you can just move the media if you're worried about keeping the cycle.

Lynxster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, looks like an early Christmas....nice choices!!! I have one of those QuietFlow's on my QT Tank....I like it!

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From 10:30 am till 1:40 PM!! I made it!!

O Ammonia
0 Nitrites
5.0 nitrates

So far so good ! I will check again later !
Just have little problem with the new filter Aqueon 30 ... it make the current too strong ..what I did was to turn off the filter and for now just running my old filter Aquaclear 20! Is a way to make the Aqueon 30 less strong?

Lynxster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What do you mean by too strong on the Aqueon 30? Unless it is a fry tank, your fish will avoid the suction. What is the PVC pipe tee for if I may ask?

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do you mean by too strong on the Aqueon 30? Unless it is a fry tank, your fish will avoid the suction. What is the PVC pipe tee for if I may ask?
The current in the aquarium was too strong.. the guppies was swimming like crazy..that's why I had to turn off the Aqueon.. I think tomorrow I will return the Aqueon and get another aquaclear 20 So I will have 2 Aquaclear 20 on my 30 gallon.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies like current. I have a way oversized filter on my 15 gallon with guppies in it and they are fine.

They are probably freaking out because you're running both filters. If you move the media from the aquaclear to the new filter and only run the one filter, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom