New Fiddler Tank

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What do you guys think? Just got the male today and two females are hiding. I know the gravel is not recommended. I’m going to rebuid it soon with pure hermit crab sand. Male in the back left.
1326AA6E-7875-4D50-A2BA-48E9DE8F9401.jpeg
99820869-D42B-4D35-A8EC-AF7E90025514.jpeg
. Please see my post later in the thread asking for advice on a heater, thanks!

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Very cool! I've been meaning to do a fiddler crab tank soon! Love the scaping. What did you use to keep the dry side elevated?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless its beach or playsand, dont bother with hermit crab sands. Its a waste of money, and when in a moist environment its known to clump and harden, like rock.

Instead, aquarium safe sands (like playsand or poolfilter sand, and depending on your local fish store, inert sands) would be a far cheaper and safer option.

Looks really good setup.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will not believe what ran through my head when I first saw "Fiddler Tank" A guy with a long beard, floppy hat, coveralls with a jug band as back up.

I think I am loosing it.

Nice set up. I have wondered about crabs from time to time. Please keep the posts coming.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kolby Holdren said:
Very cool! I've been meaning to do a fiddler crab tank soon! Love the scaping. What did you use to keep the dry side elevated?
Garden rocks and bio lava? Pumice? Gravel from my pond holds it in place pretty good.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aussieJJDude said:
Unless its beach or playsand, dont bother with hermit crab sands. Its a waste of money, and when in a moist environment its known to clump and harden, like rock.

Instead, aquarium safe sands (like playsand or poolfilter sand, and depending on your local fish store, inert sands) would be a far cheaper and safer option.

Looks really good setup.
Really? Tbh, right now this is sand from Walmart’s terrarium dept. they call it “crushed rock” buts sand ppl! Anyway, I was a bit worried it might be too corse but its easy to dig in. My crabs havent tried making burrow yet. Thats why I thought I might need a better sand. Its the wrong season to get play sand and I cant find pool sand anywhere! I live in the sticks. Thanks for the advice!

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, don't forget that fiddlers are not freshwater animals...they are going to need some marine salt in the water.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Biggest problem I’m having is finding a heater. With the water level so low, getting a good quality very small in tank heater is a problem. I was thinking of an under tank mat, but some have said don’t use them for hermit crabs, and idk if that would also apply to fiddlers. So, for now, they are slightly cold...but winter is coming. I will need something eventually. Any ideas?

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Joshaeus said:
Also, don't forget that fiddlers are not freshwater animals...they are going to need some marine salt in the water.
Yeah, I screwed up and bought aquarium salt when meaning to buy marine salt.so marine salt is on order, to arrive Monday. I will slowly introduce it a small pinch at a time so they can acclamate. I “rescued” these guys from Walmart. Now I have a milk carton of aquarium salt I dont need. Maybe thats why they havent made burrows yet? I know the water isnt ideal atm, gonna rectify that next week! For now, at least they can escape it!

Harlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kathryn crook said:
Biggest problem I’m having is finding a heater. With the water level so low, getting a good quality very small in tank heater is a problem. I was thinking of an under tank mat, but some have said don’t use them for hermit crabs, and idk if that would also apply to fiddlers. So, for now, they are slightly cold...but winter is coming. I will need something eventually. Any ideas?
I had that problem too. I went to get a heater from a lfs and they reccomened me get a heat mat. It didn’t heat the tank up at all and I wasn’t able to get to the store to buy another one for a week and the crab died the day I was able to get one I’m using this heater Zilla Reptile Habitat Lighting, Terrarium Heat Lamp Halogen Mini Dome & now my fiddler is so much more active !

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Harlee said:
I had that problem too. I went to get a heater from a lfs and they reccomened me get a heat mat. It didn’t heat the tank up at all and I wasn’t able to get to the store to buy another one for a week and the crab died the day I was able to get one I’m using this heater Zilla Reptile Habitat Lighting, Terrarium Heat Lamp Halogen Mini Dome & now my fiddler is so much more active !
Dont you need an open top tank for that? I keep the cover on. So many say they are escape artists, I worry about that. Do you use a red light so they stay warm at night too? I read about that somewhere.

Harlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
Kathryn crook said:
Dont you need an open top tank for that? I keep the cover on. So many say they are escape artists, I worry about that. Do you use a red light so they stay warm at night too? I read about that somewhere.
No ! I use a closed mesh top. And yeah I use a red light all day & all night. But I still provide them with natural light during the day. The 25w red light is the one I use. The picture is how my top & lamp are set up

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Harlee said:
View attachment 479224
No ! I use a closed mesh top. And yeah I use a red light all day & all night. But I still provide them with natural light during the day. The 25w red light is the one I use. The picture is how my top & lamp are set up
Cool set up! Awesome! Im going to get on that right away! Thank you so much!

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
O
Harlee said:
Thanks !! I’m glad I could help !
One more question? If you dont mind? Its hard to tell from the picture, but is all your sand damp, or should I provide some dry sand too?
Probably prefer damp sand, I just wanted to double check.

Harlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kathryn crook said:
O

One more question? If you dont mind? Its hard to tell from the picture, but is all your sand damp, or should I provide some dry sand too?
All of my sand has been damp since I added water & is hasn’t dried. I haven’t noticed any problems ! I don’t think it’s too much of a problem as long as there is land and water

Harlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kathryn crook said:
O

If you want to add dry sand but the sand you have is getting wet maybe you can get a reptile water / food bowl that looks like a rock and fill that with dry sand and put it in the corner

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Harlee said:
All of my sand has been damp since I added water & is hasn’t dried. I haven’t noticed any problems ! I don’t think it’s too much of a problem as long as there is land and water
Do your guys burrow?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom