Question New Female Betta Not Adjusting Well

Leinalou

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey there,
I recently bought a new female betta to add to my kind-of sorority tank. I have two other females in a 10 gallon tank. They do not pick on one another, and just swim around happily all day. I decided to add another to fill out the tank better. In her cup, she seemed curious and active. I acclimated her over the course of about 90 minutes, slowly adding in water from her new tank. I know the parameters in the tank are good (I have a little floating separator filled with fry who I also got yesterday, and they are all active and content). Now, however, she is just sitting on the bottom of the tank, looking listless. She did not explore. It is to the point that I have her floating in her cup in the tank so she is closer to the top for air. She does not respond when the other fish swim by. I have not seen her eat. Her body shape is good, no swollen swim bladder, all seems normal. So, any advice? What can I do to make her happier? I can keep her in her own tank (2.5 gallons) if necessary, but I was hoping to let her have all the swimming space allowed by the 10. I have all sorts of treatments.... any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you guys!

OP
Leinalou

Leinalou

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
She is still very stressed out- now she is laying on the bottom, breathing hard. She does swim to the surface sometimes, but is not happy. I think I am going to pull her and put her in a 2.5 gallon of her own until she regains her strength. Thoughts? I haven't seen the others pick on her, but she seems very stressed and it worries me. I would acclimate her to that tank slowly and carefully of course.

New Threads