New feesh! So cute!!

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by kinezumi89, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I finally have internet again!!! Not having internet for a week and a half was cruel and unusual punishment, I think. My internets are now faster than Helios' chariot itself, so I think it was worth it.

Now that I have the ability to upload photos...check out my new feesh! Some of you probably read about my last angel I was quarantining, and how we had to euthanize him. RIP leopardy angel fish :( We cleaned the whole tank, hood, heater, filter, airstone with hydrogen peroxide, and threw out the plant and filter media. Put new plastic plants in, and media from the 55 gallon, which should be more than sufficient for two tiny angels.

We decided to not get them from the last store we got them from, as we're 0 for 3. We took a chance and got them at Petsmart. We'll have two weeks should something go wrong, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing does.

So far, they're so different from the previous three. Super active, constantly zipping around the tank, frequently hanging out together, eating well - even if the food is lying on the bottom.

Without further ado, here they are!! :)

I'll put up a video once it uploads.

Attached Files:

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They are adorable!!!!

Sorry to hear about your last pair of Angels, I had no idea.

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm sorry to hear about your other angels. I didn't know either!!!! :(

The pair you got are adorable!! Do you know if they are male/female? I have no idea on how to sex mine but I am calling my angel a "HER" ;)
    Are these babies?

4. AlanGreene

AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    Just started
    Great fishes

5. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkeeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    Tooo cute! The really neat thing is that in the bottom picture, they look like negative images of one another, like polar opposites, ying to the yang even!! One mostly white with a black streak from dorsal down, and the other black with the white streak in the same spot... too cool!

6. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks guys :) With my last angels, in a nutshell...I bought two, the guy dropped them on the floor, I said I still wanted them because they were so neat. One was the leopardy one. One of them died in three days, brought it back, got a new one, it died in three days. Decided not to take our chances because we liked the leopardy one so much, so we let him be alone. He was fine for awhile, but having these angels I can tell he was only "fine" and not great. He never ate very well, and frequently hung out in the corner, nose up.

One of the two new ones is a little clampy, and frequently hangs out next to me (the tank is next to me on my desk) but he's swimming around now, so hopefully he'll perk up. On Monday I saw them occasionally swim parallel to the bottom, like they were rubbing against it, so I put some PraziPro in. I checked the ammonia yesterday and it was 0ppm, but I've been putting Prime in every day just in case. Yesterday I was slightly worried about the other one, as he was hanging out in the same corner for awhile, but today he looks a-okay. These darn angels always have to make me worry!

They're probably not considered babies anymore. I'd say they're about nickel-sized. :)

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
  8. AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Those two Angels are very active...love it. Wait until they get into your main tank you are definitely going to love them....

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm planning on quarantining them for at least a month. First just to make sure they're healthy, since they came from Petsmart, and second so they get a little bigger...the platies and rainbows are a lot bigger than them!

10. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Baby Angels are great. I'm glad you didn't get them from the last place. Doesn't seem like getting Angels from them is worth an hour drive. Hopefully these guys work out for ya :D

My baby Angels rush the front of the tank every time I come in to the room. It's so hard to not feed them every time.

11. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +66
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I can honestly say i had good Luck with petsmart. My local stores all the tanks are clean and well kept. The feeder insects for my reptiles are even cared for. Unlike My local petco stores ( i have 3 of both within 15 miles)

12. AlanGreene

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    Just started
    That QT tank is truly spotless, great job, also... we need to do research in how to cuddle tiny cute fish, I've got cat cuddles perfected to an art, we just need to work on the fish now!

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    PetCo and Petsmart get a bad rap, but it really depends on the store. I've seen terrible version of each, and great versions of each. This PetCo near me ("near" is a relative term, as I drive an hour to run errands) has a wall of bettas that are in bigger cups and the water is always clean. The Pet Supplies Plus near me, I wouldn't touch their bettas with a 10 foot pole. No water, scummy water, bent spines, fin rot, etc etc etc.

Mine are still a little skittish but when I wiggle my finger against the glass (after initially swimming away), they come and investigate. As weird as it sounds, they move their eyes a lot more than my last angels. I don't remember seeing the other ones look around so much.

Thanks, Alan! Just a few super cheap plastic plants to give them something to hide behind. I've never had rainbow plants before :p Since I put the PraziPro in, I can't do a water change for a few more days, but there should be more than enough bacteria in the filter media, and it's a pretty big chunk. I'll remove their poops today. :) (I know you all wanted to know that.)

LOL I'm not sure the fish would like cuddles! Though I agree about the cat cuddles. (You should check out my profile picture, it's a picture of my cat ;))

14. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Update: the white one (whom we're temporarily calling "cookie" as he's cookies and cream colored; the black one is "bandicoot" because we kept calling him the "bandy" one) is still clamping, but is happily swimming around the tank. I tested the water again (not quite 24 hours after dosing Prime, maybe 18ish?) and ammonia was 0ppm, though nitrates are 0ppm as well. (I never understood this. Where is the ammonia going?)

Edit (not even an edit, as I haven't posted yet): he's swimming a bit haphazardly. Kinda tilty sometimes. And he just got sucked against the filter intake, sat there for a second, then swam away. Earlier today I saw what I thought looked like a slightly opaque spot on his tail, but his tail is colorless there anyway so it was hard to tell. But I can now see two small, white, opaque-ish spots on one of his pectoral fins. :( There's an airstone right by the heater, and just now he got caught in the updraft and floated up, nose down. I don't know what's with me and angelfish. And he's stuck to the filter intake again. I jiggled it, he didn't swim away (jiggled rather vigorously too) so I got a turkey baster to gently pry him off, and I had to push rather hard to get him to swim away. Then he got caught between the plastic plants and the wall. I swear he's gotten worse as I've been typing this. The other guy's fins are erect and he's zipping around the tank.

Maybe I'm just not meant to have angels :(

Attached Files:

15. AlanGreene

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    Just started
    You are Kine,

My sister tried to have a baby for almost 3 years and she now has a gorgeous little munchkin named Amelia!

Your just going though some bad luck, you are a good fish keeper and this will work out for you, this is literally just some bad variance.

16. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Have you thought of using a sponge filter for your QT? I've got my babies growing out in a 10 gallon with a sponge. It makes life much easier on them.

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Is the flow too strong for them? I actually have three sponge filters coming from Amazon (one for the 5.5g betta tank, 10g betta tank, and 20g community) but they won't be seeded, obviously.

He just got stuck to the filter intake again, on the back side, so I couldn't reach. I unplugged the filter and he sank downwards off of it. It doesn't look like he's really swimming, just going where the current takes him. I wish I had another tank so I could separate them, the other one looks just fine.

I haven't done any water changes since we got them on Saturday, but I put Prime in on Monday. The ammonia and nitrate are both 0ppm anyway.

Now he's upside down more often than he's rightside up. He's barely moving his pectoral fins or his gills.

18. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Here's a picture where you can kind of see the white spots on his left pectoral fin. I had a video, but I don't think it's worth the trouble of uploading..

Unfortunately I think he's gone. He's not moving his fins and I can't really detect any gill movement either. I can't believe how rapidly it happened...and hour ago it didn't seem any worse than yesterday, with just clamped fins. :(

Attached Files:

19. AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm sorry to hear, pretty odd considering both were very active when you got them.

I would do a WC and consider doing PWC daily until your Angels are out of QT.

20. AlanGreene

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ah kine I'm so sorry...

this is horrible and by no means your fault! Again, just some bad luck, Poseidon is against you this month, but next month he will be tormenting someone else and you will be free from your bad luck x