New fancy pleco, ID'ing help appreciated

armadillo
HI guys. I've bought this fab pleco yesterday. I was told its max size would not exceed 3 to 4 inches. It's got orangey/pink spots.

The guy at the store had no idea what the precise species name was. It's a good store, so he wouldn't take me for a ride about the max size.

Any ideas what he is?

I've been on planet catfish but there are a million spotted plecos and am really not finding it easy to tell them apart.

atmmachine816
I'm not exactly sure the type it is but I don't recognize it as any small plecos that I've researched.

Butterfly
If he doesn't know what its name is how can he be sure it only gets 3-4 inches ? It looks an awful lot like Adonis and they get pretty good size.
Carol

armadillo
Yes, I wondered about that. But he says he's asked the breeder what adult size they got.

Thanks for the link, Carol. Checking it as we speak.
If he doesn't know what its name is how can he be sure it only gets 3-4 inches ? It looks an awful lot like Adonis and they get pretty good size.
Carol

armadillo
I sure hope he is not an adonis. I've just checked your link. Thanks for that again, by the way. They get huge. 60cm!

But I've spotted 4 differences so hopefully, he's not one. I am going to call the shop back and insist again that they find out from the breeder what the species is. I hate having an unID'd fish.

Here are the differences I've spotted after carefully looking at the juveniles of that species and mine:
  • their lyretails are more pronounced;
  • their markings are all over the fins;
  • their body seem a lot more elongated;
  • their spots are smaller
But they really do look a lot alike, well spotted.

armadillo
Am thinking maybe L033 (Lasiancistrus sp.)?

Max size of that one is 12cm. I hope he's one of those!

Howeyg

they don't look incredibly samey....

Allie

It kinda looks like these ones.

Butterfly
no they don't do they
I've never seen one that didn't have spots on teh fins. Just a shot in the dark.
Arma- surely the breeder knows what he's breeding ?
Carol

armadillo
Yeah, exactly. Am going to insist at the store that they ask the breeder. I am a little annoyed that they don't really bother taking the names down when they take stock in.
no they don't do they
I've never seen one that didn't have spots on teh fins. Just a shot in the dark.
Arma- surely the breeder knows what he's breeding ?
Carol

Which one's the bottom one, Howey? Is that the L33?

Thanks so much for helping out you guys. This is really helpful.

Allie, I think we're really really really close with the L028. That one only reaches 10cm too, so I like that thought too.

Baryancistrus sp. (L142) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog - planet catfish
Hypancistrus sp. (L004) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog - planet catfish
It kinda looks like these ones.

Butterfly
Could he be an orange spot plec ?
Carol

Bill
I think Butterfly has it, Arma!

94.jpg

Looks like that's the one. It gets to 5.1"

Yours lacks some spots on his fins, but looking at the photos on the planetcatfish page their markings can vary quite a bit.

armadillo
Thank you so much, you guys. I think that might well be it. Also, max size of this one's 13cm. And the colour of the spots is exactly the same. There's quite a bit of variation between mine and most of the specimens on the link, but then again they vary widely between each other. A couple are really similar to my fish.

Butterfly
I have found with the patterned plecs there is some variation in color and markings from one to another. Am I redeemed after scaring you with the Adonis?
Carol

armadillo
he he he. Yes, you are. Just buy me an adonis with the tank that goes with it, and you're completely forgiven.

I dont' want to tempt fate, though. I think I need to get more familiar with him/her to make a definite verdict on ID.

Hey, I got another question for ya if you would: I've seen what really looks like a white ovipositor on his/her underside. But I'd always read that plec sexing was a nightmare. Ever heard of visible ovipositors on female plecs, or is it something else - like his/her anus or something? But white?

I'll post a picture in a bit to show you what I mean.

Butterfly
Need a pic But no never heard of it(but there's a lot I've never heard of) could it be going poop?
Carol

armadillo
ha haaa! Nope, it's definitely a part of her body. It's cloaca-like. I'll post a picture, that'd be easier.

Sabi
Yay!!! for your orange spot pleco Anne!! Glad you got help in finding out what he is, soooo many spotted plecos, lol!

Looking forward to seeing that pic, sounds interesting!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gilpi
Replies
Views
dojafish
Replies
Views
Ruturaj
Replies
Views