New external filter, pipes disgusting

Madrat31

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a panorama 64 litre tank and have used the original internal filter for 3 years, this filter stopped working so about a month ago I bought a new external filter, but the pipes look all hinged up with **** already, even the outflow pipe.
How often am I supposed to pull it all apart to clean the pipes etc?
I clean inside the filter and media every week

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I service all my filters at the end of the month, including cleaning impellers and housing. I use one of those long flexible tube brushes for the cannister hoses.

I don't think I'm typical though.

I guess it depends on your stocking-type of fish and numbers of; your water change schedule and feeding habits. It could help to have a sponge on the intake.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah they are pretty gross. But they are good gross. Unless they are totally plugged. I have had my canister filter up since May of 18 and I cleaned the lines when they started spitting brown gook every time I turned it back on. So once. They have BB in that gook too so its good. I have a double end brush thats like 7ft I got on amazon to clean them. Took more time to get them off the tank.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Very similar, I’ve had my one canister set up since July 2018. It wasn’t spitting gunk but I figured I should clean them. I also used that really long brush thing from Amazon. :p
They weren’t dirty!
I do wipe down the intake tube and output nozzle thingy every 2 months or whenever they look gross.
And I rinse the internal sponges and biomedia monthly.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need to do my filter soon haven't since the end of February.....lol :eek: The filter itself not the lines...lol

New Threads