New endlers swimming in place, seem stressed

B3TT45

I bought 3 male endlers today who looked healthy and from an LFS that quarantines sick fish, and acclimated them to my tank water (floated them in the bag for a few hours and then slowly started adding water). I did a WC on my main tank to steal about 5 gallons of the old water to add to the QT tank (with a seeded sponge filter and stress coat) I set up for them.

Because of all the WC and tank setup, they were admittedly in the bag for many hours and seemed stressed out.
When I added them to the QT tank, they started this weird, but obviously stressed out, behavior of them spreading their fins and swimming in place with their fins moving rapidly. Sometimes when they do that, they curl their tails inwards. To give an idea (since I can’t post videos here), it looks just like a flaring betta fish. Sometimes, they randomly dart away from where they are, like how fish react to when they want to get away from something.
I should also mention that when I turned on my seeded sponge filter I couldn’t tell if the current was too strong for them so I turned it off (no way to control the current) to prevent added stressors. Hope the filter is fine turned off overnight (and please let me know if it’s not).

It seems like a stress behavior, but I want to make sure that it’s nothing more sinister. Is this expected for stressed out fish? If this is normal, how long does this behavior last for? Lastly, is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable?

A201

Floating the bag for several hours probably wasn't necessary & most certainly created a stressful environment for the new guys.
Be a good idea to keep the filter running & the lights turned off. Adding rocks or plants to the QT tank might help things.
Hope things get better soon.

B3TT45

Floating the bag for several hours probably wasn't necessary & most certainly created a stressful environment for the new guys.
Be a good idea to keep the filter running & the lights turned off. Adding rocks or plants to the QT tank might help things.
Hope things get better soon.
If that’s the case, then I stressed them out. I have many artificial plants and rocks (in case they need meds) in their 10 gal QT. They seem to like the floating ones.
They clearly still looked kinda stressed but aren’t doing that agitated swimming in place thing as much, but sometimes do a dart for air to the surface. I don’t understand them doing that though, because I have a sponge filter going, which should bring oxygen to the tank.

How long, in your experience, does it take for fish (sans illness) to feel more comfortable and less stressed in a QT?

A201

I recently added a juvenile Rose Line Shark aka Denison Barb, to my tank. It took three days before the Barb began feeding normally.
I guess complete acclimation depends on the species, but three days time is a pretty good average for most species I've kept.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
B3TT45
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies